Honda ATV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Sprocket ordered, stainless Sprocket bolts I had were inch too long, cut down and belt sanded a chamfer on them. Looks like I'll be buying a small belt sander for at home. I used one at work in a pinch. Hate asking to use shit.
Table Household hardware Wood Material property Cylinder

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
While the sprockets being shipped I grabbed my laser cut 304 stainless steel from my Amish guys 30 mins away. This is a headlight strap, the key thing honda forgot...you crash the broke the light would bend your stem mounts. I had a owner at a local honda dealer tell me I should apply with honda as an engineer....sadly I live here so she told me $17 hr...I said I can't take another $20k /year pay cut already lost a job due covid ordeal when I got layed off, my wife suffered a $15k / year pay cut to keep a job.

But that's in the past so here's the future. 250x / 300ex headlight straps. Only forsale to guys on here willing to pay...nothings in worlds cheap now. All my custom parts are in solidworks, laser programs or hand sketches.....not bragging but this is far from a kid with a harborfreight welder and some metal. This 8s what I do for a living 20 years now.

Njoy until the next episode.
Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Sprocket came in, cut chain town, put master link on....yep you guessed it wtf! Why a struggle..they supplied rivet style not clip style like I only buy. Went to use my extra master links...yep no more o ring clips...hello 1 more week down, really two since I'm heading to Florida for a week.

Oh wait next I noticed my 300ex conversion chain guide on 350x swinger was not inline with chain....yep had to unbolt rear end. Another fight of an hour. Ok so 2 hours later it's all back on waiting for the new master link clip. Now you can see the drw Sprocket guard on.

Oh and my belmetric order was wrong...shorted me 1 bolt...wtf is it with this machine...oh yeah it's a crappy honda.

Until next time!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Called in a favor at a honda / beta dealer to dial in this 300 since I am working 10 hour days and than some. One lessthing I have to do finally a win for me. After I get back in a week from Florida I have to order my 1 missing 8mm bolt and slap this little guy together again. Than it's off to the atc project. This story book is soon over finally. The guy doing the brake bleeding and jetting is the uncle to the gut I've known for years who rebuilds my heads and Cranks. Luckily I was able to drop a name and to the front of the line I went. The guys a huge 250r 350x nut...me too!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
OK so the story of this continues. I dropped it off at the shop to dial in. 15 mins later they tell me it's running & knocking. They stopped and said we will not touch it anymore until you tell us whats up with bottom end. Well like i said its all new, everything was mic'd and inspected by not only myself but the person who builds my cranks, cylinders and heads....no reason for a knock.

So it's going to go 1 of 3 ways.

#1 now they tell me starter clutch is not spinning....funny because it spun and grabbed before. I bet they will try and replace and hit me with a $500 sorry we can't go any farther bill (got 2 or 3 more here)

#2 they charge me for oil and bleeding brakes.

#3 they tell me we will rebuild a rebuilt motor....cool the guys nephew was the person who inspected the crank rebuild the head and did cylinder build and shocks at his business.

Most will say this is why you do not take it to a dealer...yes and no.

I am working 10+ hours a day. Today might be 12 hours. Now add the fact I do not get to see my daughter in the mornings anymore, only 2 hours at night. They say time is money, yes it is.

I had the appointment for Wednesday to work on it, so why 15 mins after I left it was being played with...this is why. It's was shinny and new. We know he has money into it (so they think) Let's get him for more!

#4....screw you guys. Keep the machine I'm still still $1500 to the good.

Might just go with #4. Funny how the Yamaha badger motor I did for my daughter works after I was in motor, my blaster too, my rancher 420, my warrior 350, my banshee, my kx100, my yz250, my xr200....you get the idea.

Did I screw up...highly doughtfull (when it was build I had 3 motors sitting on the bench to compair and mic all parts, plus OEM manuals. I am perfect, nope. Do I take my time, yep.

Today will be fun once they start calling and texting back.

I will say...out of all the Honda 4 strokes I've owned, most have been beat to death.

5am to 4pm working today...see my problem. I've run out of time.

I had this little problem with a machine I dropped off for a top end once because I litterly sold and house and moved. Different shop. They guy went out of biz after my machine left. Certain things people do not have time or tools for (I could not dial in a machine in a developement where I am 20 feet from next house)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I called them Monday and they pushed it back in a corner. They insist I need a new muffler so they can figure out if motor smokes or oil was in the exhaust. I bought a lexx slip on for a 400ex and a trail saver turn down tip. I wanted to run oem muffler.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Lighter exhaust is cool, it was hoping to run stock since I didnt want to repack or anything. I'll just heat it up for hours one day and burn all the crap out of it, or not.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
The 400ex that i parted must of been smoking a good bit. All that oil settled in the muffler between all the chambers...so when you ride my 300ex it starts smoking after a few mins.

oem exhuast i used in other words had oil in it. Off to the next build.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Since people might want to know how it runs...i got maybe 300ft at my house and it was coughing / missing. I knew it was not jetted. I spend the weekend jetting it the NOT correct way to figure out where i was. Taping off airbox channels i milled in my aluminum air box lid...I got it to a semi sweet spot. I ran both aftermarket exhaust with a turn down tip and my OEM 400ex muffler. I want to say I like the stock one better but I hate noise. I cant believe the dealer just didn't let the bike run 30 mins until the pipe cleared out...I'm pissed I had to buy a new exhaust I dont really want, nor can I return now. The 400 muffler flows better, but I get that open air box sound which i hate. I do not want to wear ear plugs to ride.

I'm not too far off on jetting but current the plug is white and that's no good. I ordered $80 of correct jets, pilot and main. I know ill use about 4 or 5 of them and the rest is paper weights. I had told the dealer to jet / dial it in for me because I do not have the time do mess around with it with all my over time...yay i burned up my weekend and didn't get to hang with my daughter as much....I have 0 faith in any dealer unless its working on an EFI bike. I just did my wife's rancher 420 full service myself, 4 hours.

How does it ride...it's stupid light, steering is crazy light, however does not steer as tight as I am use too...my back yard trailers are build for a kids 80cc yamaha not a bigger wider to. It rides like a Cadillac, super soft just like you need when dicking around in the woods. I readjusted my valves, checked oil levels and chain. Its all torque like I wanted. I don't need the speed. I can over ride it... and go slow which is what I need. And it's still free!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I saw them. Would work better if it had an end cap and front cap. One of them things easier to just buy something already atv or dirtbike to fit up.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Here's the 400ex lexx pipe, quietest I could get.

I did one rip with 40 slow and 150 main on a stock 400ex muffler. I got some color on plug.

That's my base line. Tomorrow I'll run a 42 slow abs a 160 main with air box pulling double the volume from stock, with the lexx turn down on...I have a feeling ill end up around 165-170.

I can already tell exhaust is not burning hot. After I dial this in over winter I'll re-ceramic coat the header. That thing must of been nearly glowing to burn off the coating.

I did notice it started easier on a 40 slow. 42 slow should prob elimiate
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

the need for choke.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts