Honda ATV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Cut down bump stops to match banshee one in height. It's oem replacement trx450r / kfx ltz400 ones. Specs are right but height 1/4" too long. I used a dermal to put a radius on the sides and smooth out flat. A belt sander never gets them perfectly sanded straight.

Peace.
Wood Automotive tire Wood stain Flooring Adhesive

Wood Finger Thumb Creative arts Nail

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Here's how you really run a 300ex fuel line vs that stupid "S" curve 3inch jobber....it's called spiral gravity. Now to buy a new petcock....the one from 1987 leaked fuel all over on it's pre start-up test. I wanted to flush the 400ex carb just in case before jetting. I bought new oem one. Normally I just blow in the $12 Chinese ones on the yamahas but they are way easier to mount, get to and fir the fine threads I don't trust China die sets... sorry you food is on point however!

Can't wait for electric atv I'm over gasoline. The paper fuel filters last 2-3 years than ethonal eats them and they collapse. Last one I had in stock so I'll use it up. I can't run ethonal free fuel with the fly cut cylinder which bumped me around 11:1, that's that good old corn gas 93. I wanted a bit more juice from this one.

Ok one more problem tracked down...now if my ball joints would show up to figure out my custom front brake set up I'll need yo measure before ordering. I do not return things in today's world.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Rim

Tire Shoe Automotive tire Wheel Light

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Decided I didn't like the routing of the 400ex air lines. I sepeated and shortened the gray one. I also went back to 1 solid fuel line 20"long total petcock to carb. I did not like the fitment with the fuel filter. Once the petcock comes in this gets buttoned up and front fender goes on.
Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Petcock on. Tank mounted. Front fenders mounted up front, rears required turning down maier supplied stand offs....nothing fit well.

My front fender stay all lined up...there's 1 area guys miss when building toys with new fenders.

It's called rubber mounting. I have been running rubber washers where any fenders mount fir prob 15 years now. It cuts down on marring up plastics and helps when you roll them to not snap stuff off.

Here's the start of the airbox I needed to build. I didn't do tube yet or rear mount, I want to tripple check it's fit.

Until next time.
Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fuel tank Vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Had to order 2-7/8" od aluminum seamless pipe with .120 wall from McMaster-Carr finish the air box. A final test fit this weekend should knock that emergency project out. Looks like my ball joints up front will show by the weekend too. That's been holding up my new brake line project....powder coat is not done....7 weeks am I'm now getting pissed at my coater....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Here's maier's horrible stand off attempt to mount 450r restyled fenders to the 1st gen 300 frames...I knew it's thread would snap. I'm turning spacers to the correct lenght....11/16" with a 1/4" thru hole. The less you stack threads on top of threads on top of threads the better. I'd love to play front hand or back hand with the engineer...the supplied stand offs in conjunction with too much fender plastic front and rear fenders were hitting didn't alow fenders to fall into place and latch the seat.

All fixed, one more issue solved

N joy
Shoe Light Blue Wood Flooring

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Turned the correct lenght spacers for the front fenders to mount tonight, used aluminum. Decided I did not like red fuel knob bought new black one. Ball joints here, will play with somthing this weekend.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Household hardware

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Officially think 400ex a arms are a huge waste of time. If using oem ball joints yes the swap is easy. If using removable ones on oem arms it's a crap shoot. Oem 300ex arms with removable ball joints was perfect. The way the 400 upper is welded together vs the 300 is where all the issues lie. At this point I should of just built +2 300ex arm.

I cam not use 300ex spindle due to causes me positive camber. My upper houser ball joints are ar 21 degree angle, 25 degree would of been on the money I think.

Either way I have to mill off 1/4" of the lower 400ex spindles. It hits my a arm. Love how a 5 min job turns to hours of work.

Oh well, typical game when you do things no one else does.

Tomorrow I focus on air box. Until front end is bolted in place with no binding at all I won't figure out new brake line lenghts.

Looks more like an atv however.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
400ex spindles didn't fit nice or safe to mill so I penmarked a 1/4" diameter smaller circle with a pill bottle cap and used my flap disk. Mounted up nice, checked brake lines....oem 300ex lines do not work on 400ex spindles. There's a difference between oem 400ex and oem 300ex brake lines, 400ex has a longer run before the banjo bolt where 300ex is like any other brake line.

The cast in ears got in the way...I ground the ear off both front sides of the 400ex spindles and 300ex lines work. Overall lenght of lines 24"...300ex stock lenghr lines are plenty long enough. I ordered new smoke asr ones to match the rear line. Double checked tie rods and need to turn 3/8" off each side. No clue what lenght my used asr ones were but they seemed way to long.

Let's see where I get next week.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Rim

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Motor vehicle Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Floor Automotive design Flooring

Vehicle brake Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Tie rods turned down 3/8" per side, airbox finished welding, pick up another batch of powdered parts, warrior 350 rear shock will go back together for final test fitting purposes before it gets rebuilt and valved.

The red frame is a 200x trike I've decided to start fixing up for hoardering.

Hopefully my weekend goes as planed but a cortisone shot happens Friday.

Tool Nickel Auto part Metalworking hand tool Metal

Gas Auto part Metal Machine Tool

Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Rim

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Bicycle fork Gas

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Put one shock back together, after 2nd ones together I will take 1/16" off each lower sides to allow a bit more clearance between the a arms. I did not like how close it was at test fitting.

I hate doing banshee shocks, every one seems to have a temperament of it own, just as when I owned banshees.
Coil spring Gas Automotive tire Auto part Art

Wood Tool Shotgun Air gun Office supplies

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Tierods on, used oem ball joint ends, my asr ones are too stiff. Had that issue with a Kfx700 once too. Went to put on brake lines from asr...yep they screwed me. I specifically asked are they 24" they confirmed stock lenght....nope I get two 50" ones which doubles banjo at the bars. I hate that look, and style. I bought 24" ones off a stock warrior 350 rear end so I had a straight banjo at front caliper. I also bought a 34" +8 banshee rear line to run to my oem splitter I had specifically welded up at a new spot for. This way all my lines are routed and rub on nothing....sometimes companies just don't get that stock upgraded really can just means that. Now we lost another week dickin around playing return game. If I had a use for 50" I'd keep them.

To keep everything like oem but upgraded it cost me $95 total...I told them I'll build my own kit idk if I cost double, it was 32 more my way.

I'm anal so my lines must match.

Guess we will mess with air box tomorrow. No rush yet but now I want the thing to roll so I can throw that Nasty oil soaked carpet away.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Air box all drilled mounted and clears everything. Now to address my last issue, warrior rear shock bottle line I must redo with a screw on fitting vs my bolt on fitting.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Made it roll, ordered light bar to fab up, figured out new hydrualic fitting needed for rear shock line. Hopefully Thursday rear shock gets dropped off to be rebuilt and valve. Busy week.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Shock line redone. My local hydrualic shop gave me the new peice to take home and triple check. Honest ppl still exist. So I took back modified my line and now we have a shock ready for rebuild. Tomorrow I am designing a key dash plate for at the handle bars. I refuse to cut a hole in my $700 Worth of new fenders. Have to order my last brake line too.
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Plant

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Tints and shades

Plant Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim

Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle tire

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Shock over at kb5ind.com who I've used for years on head building and shock rebuilds. Should be back in 1.5weeks. Sparkaresster cam in, who needs noise I got back pressure...I hate sound. My fly cut cylinder and built head makes more powder than a stupid loud pipe, that will ring my ears, drive ppl nuts. Less sound more ground plus I'm old and care less about noise...no exhaust ever helped anyone bashing thru the trees at 15mph with family.

Peace ✌
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Designed and 300ex key holder. I am making it from stainless steel. Aluminum sheet was too flimsy. This will prob turn into a production item for me selling on eBay.
Rectangle Font Circle Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Taking oem harness with stupid non plug wires and turning it into oem bullet connectors. I do this with all my aftermarket headlights. It's cheap, it's clean and does not screw anything up like all the dumb stuff guys do to harnesses...keep your old ones...I even connect same color coated wires, solder and heartshrink. This is all for my sanity in future if needing to rebook at wiring schematics. Being anal really pays off. It's too easy to just do it correctly.

Ordered grip donuts, gas tank vent lines and installed grips. Tomorrow this harness will get taped up and prob installed. Next I need to build a headlight stay and frame...no point of a headlight if you can't protect it....right?

Later girlscouts.
Electrical wiring Automotive tire Cable Electrical supply Wire

Wood Tool Audio equipment Pliers Electrical wiring

41 - 60 of 101 Posts