Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After parting a 5 machines in 2 months I'm left with stuff no one wants. I can barely give it away, plus now that we are in the winter months (dec -1 april 13th) stuff does not like to sell. Some models I sell every part, others only a few parts.

I took some of the stuff to work and built new stuff for that stuff.

So what do we have here you ask?

trx300ex frame with egged out swinger holes (lazer cut plates fix that)
trx450r front shocks (blown needing rebuild and revalve)
trx400ex oem a arms I had got in a trade to get rid of more stuff (I cut the ends off to convert over to remobable ball joints)

A tape measure, a Level and an angle finder go along way, however I do also over see a manchine shop.

Those stupid 300/400 shock extender brackets are less then perfect plus you dont need to keep the 400ex angles on the 300ex. The reason they were made is bacause nation MX rules only allow bolt on parts. Back in the day you build your own frame or cut up a stock on, never bolted things on!

So I built a trx450r shock tower from scrap metal. I didn't like it. So I build a 300ex shock tower out of it. I then set my a-arm height and where things fell they got tac'd in place by me. Later didn't like my 1st bracket conversion. I reworked it. Next were gussets. I later didn't like my round ones so I redid them with 1x1.083 wall tubing so it matched factory a bit more.

Next I will extend the frame. I might prob should of extended it 1st but I had planed on building a new shock tower in the 1st place. I planed for running my works front shocks on +1 forward a-arms.

Once I got nice OEM arms in a trade to get rid of more stuff plus cash my direction changed. I even had old PRM a-arm skid plates laying around that didn't sell.

I have a bad shape atc350x swingarm. I have a good shape 300ex swingarm. Might just mix them together. rear shock can be anything honestly, worst case a rebuild revalved and resprung 350x rear shock.
Automotive tire Fender Automotive exterior Machine Automotive wheel system
Machine Engineering Iron Nut Cylinder
Iron Metal Engineering Steel Aluminium
Iron Machine Metal Engineering Steel
Iron Metal Machine Steel Engineering
Finger Iron Metal Gas Nail
Machine Iron Metal Automotive engine part Transmission part

I am no stranger to putting things in places they didnt belong. It's hard not, just after awhile you figure out anything can be done with a welder and a lathe or drill press.

Stay tuned girl scouts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just pulled this junk down from the loft. Nothing like loosing your job for no reason so I put this project away until a later date which is now again.

Currently building + 1.5" wide +1 forward a arms. I chose +1.5 wider since that matched my oem 400ex a arms I had.

Many things were powder coated black already or redone.

Last night I removed the frame to airbox tubes. They take up too much room. The airbox needs a plug in which I made from some uhmw plastic I had.

Until next time.
Tableware Drinkware Eyewear Sunglasses Gas
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Trunk Audio equipment
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Hood
Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive design Camera accessory Tire
Tool Wood Auto part Hand tool Metal
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Crankset

Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

White Light Gear Bicycle part Suspension

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought 3 more 300ex's for a few parts and parted them.

I will build my daughter a stock platform with old works performance shocks shock up front and upgrade her OEM swingarm to work with a warrior 350 rebuildable rear shock I have. I took her OEM 300ex a arms and cut off the ball joints to weld in 16mm T hat threaded sleaves so I can run replaceable ball joints on hers. I didnt think a an 8yo really needed a wider machine right now. I still have my not stock 300ex frame that will be extended +1 forward and longer swinger build. Try to add some photos later.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a bit more. Not sure which one I will build 1st. Both frames are copies besides one runs 300ex shocks and one runs 450r front shocks. Ending Up sell my atc350x project but kept a good bit to use on the 300ex's

My daughters 300ex will get a warrior 350 rear shock which is a really nice upgrade from 300ex. Its pretty soft in stock valving. I wanted to lower the back some so did not want to use a 660r shock, plus i already had a warrior shock from parting one out. OEM 300ex a arms cut to and welded in sleeve to 16mm ball joints. She did not need crazy wide arms to move up to a larger machine yet. Total investment....100% free so far yet.

I will modifit my 350x swingarm again to run on either 300ex with the warrior shock.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not done yet. I ending up selling my extra 300ex frame with the 450r shock mount and the shocks. It was a mega payday. Ok so I parted 2 or 3 more 300exs.

Now I did even more mods to the kids future 300ex. Warrior shock is fully in place with delrin upper shock bushings and new 12mm Sleve. More frame mods to hardmount the bottle up front where we use to mount works bottles. I went to local hydrualic store after work and had a new line made. Figured out my new rear shock mount for 350x swinger to mount warrior shock. I am lowering the rear 1inch over factory 300exs. 2009 300x motor has been built, fly cut cylinder, pro-x piston with oem cam. All new head build with 5 angle valve grind... these things can be build like tractors...does not need to scream they don't last in that state or make it great for a kid. I have 2 motors left over in parts.

Prob just buy Elka fronts however I did redo a set of oem front shocks for kid as that might be good enough. I relocated rear trx450r rear brake resivour too inside frame away from exhaust.

Finishing up my shark fin style skid plate for sprocket guard and rotor fin.

Need to build my 300ex fmf header to oem 400ex muffler yet.. Don't need the noise and 300exs exhausts are gone. I keep buying parts bikes than selling parts off so I get what I need.

Stay tuned. When your in no rush cool things happen.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kb5 industrues did my head and cylinder for me. He services a national race team. Very great guy to deal with....all my heads and cylinders go to him.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering
Top end rebuild with fly cut cylinder and reached head. 5 angle valve grind 100% new all oem valve parts and guides. Prox piston to keep weight off crank. 75mm bore. Cam goes in next. No rush needed a few more oem gaskets.

Next I'll relocate battery up front i think to gain more free space in rear. Engineering mostly finished.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finished laser cutting my shark fin designed skid plate. These are custom made on each machine I build. Normal skid plates are junk and fold. I need to Weld it and than figure out my gussests. Swingarms get new welded tabs on the bottoms for bolts. I've build these for multiple machines over the years running custom Swingarms.

Tomorrow my new shock mount should be welded up. Everything check out tonight before weldings. Lowered seat height 1/2" over-all before shocks sag. Should be 1inch lower over all once shocks built & revolved.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shock is in. Need to design some gussets. Will need revalved forsure maybe resprung
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Coil spring

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Needed to cut the electronics out of the way of the shock line. Was too close to work properly. I will plate that side of the frame shut like other side and relocate the 2 electronics else-ware. Hoping I was put everything up front under the nose / hood. Cam was put in time / cam adjuster and intake manifold on. Everything got new OEM gaskets or O-rings. Now to do something else for a bit like buy more 300's and part them for profit. I have nothing into this build and currently still $1100 to the good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weekend homework. Gusset for warrior shock mounts on 350x swingarm. Laser this guy out weld in. Might need 2 small ones yet but I'll check after it's in.

I finished putting the valve cover on last night
Wood Cannon Automotive tire Gas Auto part

1 - 12 of 12 Posts