Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opened My mouth and thought an easy fix.

Have had it running then lose spark. Using 3 used cdi's.

Have 6.4 volts from pulse generator using peak voltage adapter. Battery voltage to cdi .

Is there any known spec on the yellow wire at the cdi connector ?

Do not know if I am frying the cdi's somehow ?

Just about to order a new one, but do not want to fry it?

New aftermarket stator and new aftermarket regulator/rectifier have been installed.

Tried to make the post short !

Thanks

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Hi you didn’t say what year; not sure that matters but i am concerned that you installed aftermarket components.

Do you have the Honda service manual? If not click link in my sig block.

Check for the correct spark plug number

Click my parts links. You will see that years of 450 do not all use the same part number stator.

Why did you replace the other components? Curious and may be related.for instance some coils should have a resistor in the plug cap

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi you didn’t say what year; not sure that matters but i am concerned that you installed aftermarket components.

Do you have the Honda service manual? If not click link in my sig block.

Check for the correct spark plug number

Click my parts links. You will see that years of 450 do not all use the same part number stator.

Why did you replace the other components? Curious and may be related.for instance some coils should have a resistor in the plug cap

This is a 2004 foreman 450 S. I am aware of the darn after market parts tried to save a friend some money.

I am using a Honda service manual.

Does have the correct new spark plug and also using an adjustable spark tester.

The original stator was replaced because the bolts came out of the starter clutch and destroyed the windings.

I am using the original Honda pulse generator. Aftermarket stator, aftermarket regulator/rectifier a used '04 flywheel .

Have had it running and it was putting proper voltage to the battery then lost spark, tried a used cdi had no spark got another used cdi saw spark then lost it again.

At cdi connector pulse generator wires green/white (ground) blue/yellow (generator) I read 6.4 volts using a peak voltage adapter and My multimeter, have battery voltage on black/white wire, the harness has continuity from one end to the other.

I can find no known voltage value on the yellow wire that runs from the voltage regulator/rectifier to the cdi.

Darn thing has Me stumped, about to order a NEW Honda cdi.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think you can directly measure voltage from the stator; only continuity. May be able to check it going into reg/rec if you had a clamp.

I will read my manual
Thanks, Maybe I missed something in the manual or any of My online searches!

All I can get is very low to no peak voltage at the coil from the cdi when testing as per the manual.

When I first put the darn aftermarket stator in the machine could get nothing and found the two wires for the pulse generator were reversed in the connector, switched them around and had it running checking the charging output everything seemed fine then lost spark. Thought that maybe the reversed wires somehow could have damage the original cdi. Hate to put a new cdi in it and have it fry somehow.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here’s pic of troubleshooting page
Thanks for Your time Goober ! It is the same in the manual that I am using.

This damn thing is just now a big pain !

I always get things figured out, but this one is taking way too long and it seems that I must be missing something.

Will most likely go with a new not used cdi .

It be nice to plug the cdi's I have into another machine and see if it runs, but everyone I know does not have something that uses this cdi.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
first: buy oem c.d.i. , second, make sure the ignition switch is in good working condition. what shape is the meter/display in ?. if the meter/display is busted ?. this can keep it from running.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first: buy oem c.d.i. , second, make sure the ignition switch is in good working condition. what shape is the meter/display in ?. if the meter/display is busted ?. this can keep it from running.
New cdi was already ordered but did try some used ones all Honda. Yes I know used !

Ignition switch is good, meter display is good.

I know there are some aftermarket parts in the system, usually do oem but in this case went with some aftermarket, have used this supplier before with no problems maybe it will bite Me in the $ss.

Just do NOT want something that I might be missing, to fry the new CDI !

Been playing with power sports toys for many years and never fried a cdi.

Will post back with the results !

Thanks for the reply.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
New cdi was already ordered but did try some used ones all Honda. Yes I know used !

I know there are some aftermarket parts in the system, usually do oem but in this case went with some aftermarket, have used this supplier before with no problems maybe it will bite Me in the $ss.

Thanks for the reply.
I see a ton of members always saying they bought '' new '' ?, when in fact..yeah..maybe it was new ?..but not oem !..lol. when it comes to electronics for atvs ?..I NEVER BUY ANYTHING UNLESS ITS OEM FROM HONDA !. its a gamble I just dont take..spec when it comes to money !..lol. the only way I will buy after market ?.is if that part is no longer around ?..discontinued ?..then I don't have a choice. if the part is still around ?..its oem all the way !.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for the reply.
I see a ton of members always saying they bought '' new '' ?, when in fact..yeah..maybe it was new ?..but not oem !..lol. when it comes to electronics for atvs ?..I NEVER BUY ANYTHING UNLESS ITS OEM FROM HONDA !. its a gamble I just dont take..spec when it comes to money !..lol. the only way I will buy after market ?.is if that part is no longer around ?..discontinued ?..then I don't have a choice. if the part is still around ?..its oem all the way !.
Oh, I agree shadetree as I stated "usually do oem" but in this case I did NOT !

With My understanding of this system thought I would be ok ! As I said it might bite Me in the $ss !

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

With My understanding of this system thought I would be ok ! As I said it might bite Me in the $ss !
it's called learning from your mistakes !..lol.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

it's called learning from your mistakes !..lol.
Yhea, I know 66 years old and still learning ! LOL !

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To report back with the results, got the new OEM cdi plugged it in still NO spark ! WTF !!!

Disassembled the cdi connector tightened the clips put it back together and it lives !

Runs great !

The aftermarket parts are working the battery is charging to specification.

The original cdi is no good along with the 2 used ones !

Took Me way too long to get this thing figured out ! LOL !!

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
To report back with the results, got the new OEM cdi plugged it in still NO spark ! WTF !!!

Disassembled the cdi connector tightened the clips put it back together and it lives !

Runs great !

bent pins in the harness side connector ?, but ty 4 updating this !, glad ya got it going !!!.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
wait until you build a motor, put it in the frame, hear it crank and run, then a week later, it wont run ?..hmmm..yeah..dumb moment...FORGOT TO PUT THE SPARK PLUG BACK IN !..LOL.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Runs great !

bent pins in the harness side connector ?, but ty 4 updating this !, glad ya got it going !!!.

Your not as glad as I am that this damn thing is going ! LOL !

No bent pins just when they were removed and individually plugged into the cdi some were not a tight fit ! Hell I do not know ?

It is a VERY hard learned lesson that I will NEVER forget !

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts

Runs great !

Your not as glad as I am that this damn thing is going ! LOL !

No bent pins just when they were removed and individually plugged into the cdi some were not a tight fit ! Hell I do not know ?

It is a VERY hard learned lesson that I will NEVER forget !
trust me, I learn stuff every dang day, and i've been doing this over 25 years !..lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.