Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just joined and need your help already ;)..

I have a 2008 trx420 manual shift and I've got a problem that I can't seem to find an answer to.

The shifter has a lot of play in it, to the point that I have to lift my foot off the foot rest to change up.....
Clutch is fine and the pinch bolt that holds the shifter on is nice and tight.

Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it as I am trying to teach my son to ride and shifting is hard enough for me let alone him...

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
my first thoughts is the clutch is NOT adjusted correctly ?. my second thought is the end of the shift drum behind the front cover has bad parts on it ?.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my first thoughts is the clutch is NOT adjusted correctly ?. my second thought is the end of the shift drum behind the front cover has bad parts on it ?.
Hi thanks for your reply, I have adjusted the clutch according to the Honda manual. Would the clutch cause excessive play in the gear selector?
Is the shift drum part you mentioned a tricky job to take apart?

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Hi thanks for your reply, I have adjusted the clutch according to the Honda manual. Would the clutch cause excessive play in the gear selector?
Is the shift drum part you mentioned a tricky job to take apart?
yes, sorta ?..i say this, because the shifting shaft goes to the very front of the engine, right behind the cover, its posb you have stripped out the shifting shaft splines right there behind the lower bottom right hand side as you are facing the front, or lower bottom left side front when sitting on atv. the shifting shaft has splines on it, it all ties into the shift drum and clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I've taken the shift lever off ( removed the pinch bolt) and the splines look and feel ok. There does not seem to be any play between them.. the shaft that it connects to has no up/down nor side to side play. The play seems to be in the turning of this shaft??

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Hi, I've taken the shift lever off ( removed the pinch bolt) and the splines look and feel ok. There does not seem to be any play between them.. the shaft that it connects to has no up/down nor side to side play. The play seems to be in the turning of this shaft??
your problem is inside the back end of the motor ?, or at the front of the inside of the motor. look at # 10, # 17, and # 16, all of these parts are inside the lower engine --> Honda ATV 2008 OEM Parts Diagram for Gearshift Drum | Partzilla.com . on number # 10, that small rounded tang fits inside the long shaft, sometimes they wear out where they meet ?, then number # 17 is your long shaft that runs from front to back inside the engine, at the front where it connects to number # 16, the shaft is splined, either of these two ends where they meet can strip out on the splines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your problem is inside the back end of the motor ?, or at the front of the inside of the motor. look at # 10, # 17, and # 16, all of these parts are inside the lower engine --> Honda ATV 2008 OEM Parts Diagram for Gearshift Drum | Partzilla.com . on number # 10, that small rounded tang fits inside the long shaft, sometimes they wear out where they meet ?, then number # 17 is your long shaft that runs from front to back inside the engine, at the front where it connects to number # 16, the shaft is splined, either of these two ends where they meet can strip out on the splines.
Thanks very much for all your help, looks a very expensive job 😫 , labour cost will be massive by the look of everything involved..

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Thanks very much for all your help, looks a very expensive job 😫 , labour cost will be massive by the look of everything involved..
yeah, labor from a dealership would cost a pretty penny, this is why i do all my own atv repairs..lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts