Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Coming along nicely @mlap5150. I'm surprised one of the 3 guys didn't let you give one of their mx bike setups a try. Either way sounds like you'll be riding this weekend 👍
Thanks! One of the guys offered to let me try his adapted KTM 450, just not on race day 😂 he lives not too far in Indiana so maybe sometime this summer I’ll get the chance to ride with him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One more thing I forgot to mention, i’ve been working on some wearable protection for my bottom/hip area. I bought some cheap padded shorts on amazon (meant for snowboarding) and replaced the EVA foam butt pad with some 1/2” soft viscoelastic polyurethane foam. This type of foam is usually used as a “comfort layer” on seats, so it should be a nice supplement to the gel insert, and hopefully let me worry even less about pressure sores 😂

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Had a really nice time riding up at my aunt’s place in the northern LP this past weekend. Didn’t end up making it to the group ride I was supposed to go to, but got some quality seat time on some relatively mild trails to get used to the new quad and try to sort out some issues.

First impressions - it felt awesome to get back in the saddle, and this quad is a blast! It’s got the same torquey motor as my XR400 which i’m a big fan of, all in a well balanced package. I wasn’t going terribly fast but the quad felt very stable the entire time, even during donuts in gravel and going over small logs and tree stumps. I was able to mount the shifter arm and get through all 5 gears, not an ideal solution when I need both my arms for support but it did the job for the most part. Definitely beats being stuck in a single gear!

The main issue I ran into was that my butt kept sliding off the seat, which is a problem especially considering how easy it is to slide the rear on this quad. I had a strap around my thighs which helped hold my legs to the gas tank, but I decided not to strap myself to the machine itself in case I had an off. I ended up sliding right off the seat a few times but thankfully was able to pull myself back up. I don’t have the core strength to efficiently shift my position in the seat, so I think I’m going to need something more drastic than just a reupholstered seat. I might take the idea I got from Doug Henry and use a go-kart seat with sides as a base.

A few pics are attached. That’s my sister on the 100, it was her first time riding a bike with a clutch but she learned quick! Also got some video that I’m going to work on over the coming days.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Thanks for sharing, and great to see you out enjoying the sport. You are truly an inspiration!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
All in all it looks like you were prepared and are getting pretty close with your setups! I imagine that it'll improve a bunch for ya once the electric shifter is on there. So it looks like getting a good seat design nailed down is the key? I imagine suspension tweaks and upgrades might help ya stay in the seat a lot better too. Glad ya got a weekend to ride it and learn what works and whats gotta be done next! :)

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
The main issue I ran into was that my butt kept sliding off the seat, which is a problem especially considering how easy it is to slide the rear on this quad. I had a strap around my thighs which helped hold my legs to the gas tank, but I decided not to strap myself to the machine itself in case I had an off. I ended up sliding right off the seat a few times but thankfully was able to pull myself back up. I don’t have the core strength to efficiently shift my position in the seat, so I think I’m going to need something more drastic than just a reupholstered seat. I might take the idea I got from Doug Henry and use a go-kart seat with sides as a base.
Were you sliding off the back of the seat? Have you looked into adapting a cruiser motorcycle seat to your seat pan? The Harley Hammock for instance has deep padding and contours; Even a backrest. The Hammock is heated so you probably won’t want that more expensive feature. Harley makes a Tall Boy seat too for riders that need to sit further back in the saddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@M_Quick thank you!
@retro yeah I've been thinking about suspension upgrades (I hear 450 shocks are a popular upgrade for the 400), but the immediate needs are the seat and also installing new nerf bars - I bought a set with integrated heel guards, thinking about using magnets on my boots and nerfs so my feet don't move around
@Goober my problems were more with sliding side-to-side than front-to-back. The cruiser seat might be a good option if I can find one with enough side bolstering. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had a really nice time riding up at my aunt’s place in the northern LP this past weekend. Didn’t end up making it to the group ride I was supposed to go to, but got some quality seat time on some relatively mild trails to get used to the new quad and try to sort out some issues.

First impressions - it felt awesome to get back in the saddle, and this quad is a blast! It’s got the same torquey motor as my XR400 which i’m a big fan of, all in a well balanced package. I wasn’t going terribly fast but the quad felt very stable the entire time, even during donuts in gravel and going over small logs and tree stumps. I was able to mount the shifter arm and get through all 5 gears, not an ideal solution when I need both my arms for support but it did the job for the most part. Definitely beats being stuck in a single gear!

A few pics are attached. That’s my sister on the 100, it was her first time riding a bike with a clutch but she learned quick! Also got some video that I’m going to work on over the coming days.
Go kart seat sounds like a good idea, or if fabbing isn't an issue maybe low rise padded tabs on the left and right side of the seat, 3-4 inches high? High enough to catch your thigh/hips and dampen your weight wanting to throw you off, thereby keeping you centered on the seat, but low and sleek enough that you can bail (also no strap) if you absolutely have to.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Go kart seat sounds like a good idea, or if fabbing isn't an issue maybe low rise padded tabs on the left and right side of the seat, 3-4 inches high? High enough to catch your thigh/hips and dampen your weight wanting to throw you off, thereby keeping you centered on the seat, but low and sleek enough that you can bail (also no strap) if you absolutely have to.....
Tabs sound like a good idea if I can make a separate part that fits to the seat. I thought about reshaping the stock seat with some side bolstering, but it's just not wide enough (seat is 15" at its widest, my hips are about 16"). I ended up buying a plastic go kart seat and another stock seat to mess around with.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got a little muddy on Saturday at an ORV park near Flint. No updates to the quad since last time out other than a new set of nerf bars with integrated heel guard. I bought some magnets to mess around with and try to find a way to keep my feet in place. They kept sliding forward while riding, in some cases my left knee would hit the shift lever and pop me into neutral 😂

Going to be working on the go kart seat project this week so stay tuned!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
something i use to put on the vinyl seat, would make it tacky. i cant remember.
maybe the silicone, ya spray on cotton tent's, to keep the moisture out, wax, or vinyl treatment. i think it was the first.
it wont help much, it does keep the seat from being slippery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Made some good progress and did an initial mock up of the go kart seat. Basically just used some flat stock and L brackets to bolt it onto a stock seat pan. Even without all the attachment point bolted down, it feels sturdy and should keep my butt in place. Just waiting on a few hardware bits to finish it up this week. Going on a trip up north Friday so I’ll have a really good opportunity to test it out over the next week and make some tweaks if necessary. Don’t think I’m going to have time to upholster it so I have an air hawk to get me by in the meantime. Also I know the back is obnoxiously high, I do plan on shaving it down at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
@mlap5150 it'll be interesting to see how that works having a high backrest, especially over rough terrain. I know with the rear "passenger seat" I have on my grizzly, when riding in the back you can rest your back against it when just cruising over smooth terrain. But once the riding gets more serious and terrain rougher, especially the bumps that rock you fore/aft, you have to lean forward to keep the backrest from smacking you in the back. Or just stay planted with it but then you rock with the atv, instead of "floating" your upper body with the rocking. Following you progress closely as there may be some things I end up trying.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@mlap5150 it'll be interesting to see how that works having a high backrest, especially over rough terrain. I know with the rear "passenger seat" I have on my grizzly, when riding in the back you can rest your back against it when just cruising over smooth terrain. But once the riding gets more serious and terrain rougher, especially the bumps that rock you fore/aft, you have to lean forward to keep the backrest from smacking you in the back. Or just stay planted with it but then you rock with the atv, instead of "floating" your upper body with the rocking. Following you progress closely as there may be some things I end up trying.
Yeah I'm going to run it with the full backrest for now but I'm probably going to end up cutting it down once I figure out how deep of a "bucket" I actually need. Like I said before, my main concern is side-to-side movement. I'll call it a success if it doesn't fall apart on me and I can do donuts :devil

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A few more pics of the seat after finishing up the attachment and trying it out. The flat stock I used was 3/16” steel, pretty sturdy stuff. The rear bar is bolted at the widest point of the stock seat pan, and the front is bolted about 6.5” forward where there are pre-existing holes in the pan. The L brackets are two different sizes (smaller in front) and are high enough to bolt up above the curvature of the bottom of the seat. All bolts are 3/8” with lock nuts. The bumpers in front are 2” tall and came with a 3/8” hole (see trailer bumpers on amazon); they do provide a bit of extra cushioning which is nice. I covered the bolt heads on the inside of the seat with EPA foam with adhesive back and/or bicycle handlebar tape (also on amazon). The seat fits well and should be a snug fit when I have my riding pants on. I’ll be testing it out over the next week. One improvement I'm thinking about already is a foam pad in the lumbar area to counteract the slightly slouched posture I have when sitting more uptight. I’ll post another update and ride report in a couple weeks after I get back.

P.s. One bonus I didn’t expect is that transfers are now easier since the edge of the seat provides another place to grab onto when getting in and out.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ended up having a really good time on my trip, and the build is coming along nicely. I was able to get some good seat time to make some tweaks, mainly to the seat. I got some help to cut the back down to about half the original height - at first it was pushing me forward too much when I was sitting upright but now it’s at a good level. Had a friend make the cut with a dremel then clean it up with a belt sander. Now it’s at a good level where it gives me support without being intrusive. Most of my riding was pretty tame but there were some donuts and faster sections mixed in. So far the hardware is holding up nicely. Unfortunately I didn’t make it out to the off-road park/ MX track I wanted to go to, but I’ll save that for next time. It was great to be able to ride with family and friends - I brought my 100 and my dad’s 225 up, plus my brother brought his 200, so we were able to have some nice group rides on the beautiful trails of northern MI.

Next steps are to add a lumbar pad to the seat and install some bicycle toe clips to keep my feet in place. Found a set cheap on amazon so we’ll see how they work.

Video clip of the “donut test” https://www.instagram.com/p/B0yoMUVHunZ/?igshid=18xq1zcpfnwlv

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
To celebrate having owned my quad for 6 months now, and to hopefully help out others in my position, I made a video showing all the modifications I've done. I've gotten some good riding in over the past several weeks, and am at the point now where I can ride comfortably at a moderate pace and keep up with my friend in his UTV. I was even popping wheelies on my last ride 😂

Out with my friend in his Polaris 900 and brother on his TW200 on the beautiful trails of northern MI

Throttle therapy is the best therapy :cool:

Link to the video:

The toe clip mod I mentioned at the end I actually already did. I bought some $8 bicycle toe clips off Amazon and used existing bolts on the footpegs to mount them. They are working quite well, only had a foot slip out once so far.

Also, a bit off topic, but I'm toying with the idea of working on a flat track/TT setup after one of my para friends went to a race recently. Anyone got any pointers on how to get started?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
First off I love this build. Super cool what your doing.

I have been recently getting into flat track. I absolutely love it, fun fast racing with a low crash risk (no jumps like motocross) what I did with my Honda 400, was a dominator +4 axle, rear lowering link, softened up my front 450 shocks as much as possible (in the race we actually used a ratchet strap too make the front squat down LOL) I still have too get longer front a arms or some type of shock lowering kit. A sway bar, and some other goodies.

I’m in the process of building a Flat track only bike. 440 motor, Hinson clutch, all the expensive stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 44 Posts