Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

First post. My 2004 trx400fa has been slipping out of gear momentarily when I apply anything more than gentle pressure.
It happens in both auto and manual. I can hear a spinning/grinding sound when it does it coming from the control motor roughly.

Has anyone had similar issues? I'll be tearing it apart this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://youtu .be/y_Z_cNxbGm8 must be a issue with the fourm copy and paste that into the YouTube search just be sure to delete that odd space I had to do, your issue should be a pretty cheap fix if you can find some good used components and do the work yourself
Thanks!

The video that comes up showed how to fix when it won't shift into drive.
I shift fine, but it slips and I hear a noise in the front, not the back where he's working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks!

The video that comes up showed how to fix when it won't shift into drive.
I shift fine, but it slips and I hear a noise in the front, not the back where he's working.
That video says shifting issues but I can gaurentee that what's wrong with yours watch the whole video and you'll see the 2 gears that start to slip and round off and grind, it's a matter of time before you completely loose drive and only have reverse it's a defect in the 400 at rancher I just sent that video to shorten up explaining a whole story a video is worth 100 pages sometimes if this isn't the issue only other thing it could be is your hondamatic unit going bad if so it's just cheaper to sell it or buy another used motor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That video says shifting issues but I can gaurentee that what's wrong with yours watch the whole video and you'll see the 2 gears that start to slip and round off and grind, it's a matter of time before you completely loose drive and only have reverse it's a defect in the 400 at rancher I just sent that video to shorten up explaining a whole story a video is worth 100 pages sometimes if this isn't the issue only other thing it could be is your hondamatic unit going bad if so it's just cheaper to sell it or buy another used motor
I'm definitely willing to try anything at this point. Hoping for a semi cheap fix as I am gearing it up for my father.

The sound I hear is coming from right behind the shifting motor. I'm going to watch that video over though and go from there.

Thanks a lot buddy! Appreciate the replies!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After rewatching the video; that really seems like it could be it! It makes a lot of sense really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts