Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

I have a 07 Rancher AT I bought with about 20 miles on it. I changed the oil + filter at 100 miles, drove it 600 miles and changed it again. However this time, about 1.5 quarts of oil drained out. I began to worry a bit. I checked it one weekend, it was good to go. I checked it the next weekend, and it seemed a bit low, so when I drained it I was worried with what I saw. It's not burning any, or at least not at the rate that I lost it. I put a piece of cardboard under the bike to see if it was leaking anywhere, and it's not. I took it to the dealership, and they looked it over and said nothing was wrong.

So, I refilled the oil and installed a new filter and began to monitor my oil a lot closer. I check it before every ride, but now im doing it during rides and what not. Well, after 120 miles it's down what appears to be 1/2 to 1 quart.

I have decided not to ride it until I can figure out whats going on. I haven't found much info, and the dealership gives me a clean bill of health, so was wondering, what gives? Has anyone else here had this problem? Is it normal? I cant imagine having to add that much oil every 100 miles.

In case anyone wonders, I am checking the oil using the method in the manual. Starting it and letting it idle for 5 mins, turning it off and waiting 2-3 mins. Wiping the dip stick clean, and re-inserting without screwing the stick in. Last weekend when I did the oil change, it held full no problem. Now today, its down.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Check the crankcase vent and make sure its clear. Should be a rubber hose on the case itself behind the cylinder or on the cylinder head itself.I would pull the spark plug and check the color of the electrode, that will tell you if there are any issues with the valve train or cylinder. Spark plug color chart

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did check the air box, and there is no engine oil in the box. I am going to check the plug and the crankcase vent after work today.

Thanks for the help thus far. In the meantime, does anyone have a diagram of the crankcase vent system? I take it's its connected to the airbox? And what exactly do I do to see if it's plugged up or not?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts