Honda ATV Forum banner

Trx400ex top end assembly questions

537 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  400exdad 
#1 ·
Im putting my dad's trx400ex back together and when I got it all wrapped up o tried to start it and it turned over and sounded just fine but never started.

It has spark and the head got a fresh valve job and was tested for compression, new wiseco piston Atwell as a used camshaft that came of a running bike, when I put the cam in the motor was TDC and all the lobes where facing down Atwell ad the 2 lines on the camshaft, my question is does the chains position matter? It has a white marker (I wasnt the one who took it apart) on one of the links.

#2 ·
no The chain position itself does not matter. As long as you had the crank in TDC, cam lobes down, and the sprocket lined up with the top of the head. I would go through and double/triple check the valve adjustment. Make sure everything is timed right first, then run through the valve adjustment. .0004 intake and .0005 exhaust gap. I would also go through and give the carb a really good cleaning before trying to start it. It will make a big difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.