Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 trex400ex with a 440 big bores kit,,,was hoping someone can tell me what save filler gauges should I use for the intake valve adjustment ,,,and what size filler gauge should I use for the exhaust valve adjustment any advice would help

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Is the cam stock? .004 intake and .005 exhaust is stock setting. I think some aftermarket cams change that. My magnum cam is same as stock though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Valve adjustment

Im not sur,,,the guy I got it from said it has a big bore kit on it he said a 4 wheeler shop did it but never said anything about stock or not cams,,,,,,,hell to be honest I'm a rookie and new about all this,,,I'm not even sure if it really has a big boar kit,,when I was looking everything up I seen were you should have a bigger cam if you have a 440 kit,like I said I didn't really start doin major research till after I got atv,,,,,it's doesn't back fir or anything revs to full just fine ,,but when I do a cold start I have to hold the throttle a lil till it finally idles,,,,,the choke don't help with warming it up or nothing choke on choke off it,it just don't do anything man,,,,,and while holding the throttle waiting on it to warm up every now and then it does this weird sound like if I ain't holding the throttle enough it will kill out ,but after it warms up that sound goes away,,,and one more thing,,,when it's completely warmed up if I give the throttle in the thickness of 2 nickels of distance I can jam it full in and everything does what it's supposed to do,,,,,but if I'm just sitting with ,,,again,,,full warmed ready to go and I jam the throttle fast it dies out,,,,,,,,can u give me some advice

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
To be honest if we have no idea what is done to it i have no clue where to point you at all. People say they have big bore kits and all sorts of motor work to sell them alot of the time they are bone stock inside. Sounds to me like you need a 42 pilot jet. Sounds to me like it has a stock 38 and it will make it a bear to start and stay idling. The 42 would be for if it is stock internal though. If its a 440 you will need a 45 at the minimum. My opinion is buy a gasket kit and pull it apart so we can atleast know what you got. ONLY IF YOUR CAPABLE OF PUTTING IT BACK TOGEATHER THOUGH! Honestly you want to hope its not a 440. They blow headgaskets like its there job. It is way to big of a bore for the 400ex to run at reliably. Without lots and lots of money and time into keeping it running cool. Btw. Im not going to warn you again about the language. Were not like other forums here. We keep a tight ship. We can help you just as good without it i promise

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big bore kit

Lol......o.k. mr language........but I really do thank u for taking interest in my reach out for advice due my concerns about my machines,,,,,,,lol your new name I'm giving u is Mr uptight........don't take life to serious man...there's a lot more in life to worry about then words that help explain one's expression and feelings,,,,,remember this is only word we have to communicate with so it's all we got to try to get the one were talkn to to to visualize and imagine the expression were putting out as we explain things........don't take anything I'v just typed to u as an insult or interpret it in any way that will convince u that I mean any kind of hate or insult exc,,,,,,all I want u to get out of this is that,,,,,,,YOU NEED TO CHILL on something as simple as a few expressive words......be cool man, I will keep u up dated

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
No worries at all man! I personally have zero issue with how you talk. You would find it very hard to insult me. But on this forum which the rules state differently i have to inforce said rules. We just try our best to make this a drama free and swear free zone. With kids being aloud on computers these days and these posts going all over the internet we just want the reputation of a clean safe environment for anyone. A few swears here and there we let slide. But a few leads to alot so i was just keeping you informed. I didnt want to come off as what you made me out to be. But i just became a moderator so i will perfect my method soon lol. No harm no foul tho. Im glad to help bro!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I totally understand your point,reason,and wear your getn at,,,,I will mos def keep u in formed on my build,,,,as I can afford it of cours ,,,,,limited cash this way man,,,,keep an eye out for my post,,,,,I will always have questions

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
OP, slammedranger is just doing what we do here ?, make it a safe, friendly web site where guest/members can vist/join, and not have to worry about insults, bad words, politics , or any other crap that is not needed here ?. this site is the best on the net !, and we want to keep it that way :). personally ?, I have no care in the world what you say at home, at work, or where ever your at ?, but please try to keep it clean here on our forums :). the rules here are simple to follow, please understand why we have them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keeping it parallel

I completely understand ,,,,,,i will and always keep it tolerable and thoughtful of all who will or will not visit or religh on this site for valuable
Info for whatever needs or questions ,advice exc,,,,,I want all us riders to ride and help keep each others riding,,,,,,whoop whoop

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am one of those members that believes profanity has no place on a forum like this. I thank the mods for addressing it and I thank you for your cooperation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts