Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking here for answers for a long time. This one has me stumped. I have a 2001 trx350tm (2wd manual) I have almost everything I need to convert it (is axles hubs different driveshaft) it appears there is a shaft b and thrust washer that needs to be added inside the front case cover. The cover has a molded boss with a welsh plug (freeze plug) in it where the shafts comes out. Looking at new parts catalog 2wd and 4wd take the same part number. Can I remove this plug and install a seal in the present cover?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Sorry, I don’t know; it sounds like fun almost bought one at auction to do your conversion. But there was more wrong than right with that rig

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I'm about ready to do the same mod on mine, however when I got my rancher, the block was trash. And it came with a good 4x4 block. So I already have the output shaft on mine. I might be able to go look at my 2wd case and see if the hole you speak of is in the right spot though.

What are you plans for the front brakes as they use different drums?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You might google ATV 2wd to 4wd conversion, plenty of info out there and know many of us will be interested in the outcome and be sure to take plenty of pics....

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I have been looking here for answers for a long time. This one has me stumped. I have a 2001 trx350tm (2wd manual) I have almost everything I need to convert it (is axles hubs different driveshaft) it appears there is a shaft b and thrust washer that needs to be added inside the front case cover. The cover has a molded boss with a welsh plug (freeze plug) in it where the shafts comes out. Looking at new parts catalog 2wd and 4wd take the same part number. Can I remove this plug and install a seal in the present cover?
don't bother !. first : you may never get the hole in the front case knocked out centered ?, second : its not as easy as you think to convert them !. third : the front of your 2wd frame where the front differential mounts ?..Honda did not install the bolt threaded part on the frame. in the long run ?, unless you have all the correct parts ?..its just not worth it. your better off just getting your hands on a 4wd model. can it be done ?..sure !, but not the way you think you can..lol.

Reactions: Goober

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

It sounds like it but I’ve never done it. If the part numbers are the same for the front case I don’t see why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have all the hubs brakes axles drive shaft and differential. The frame has he welded nuts already for the front mount so that bracket is easy. If they were not it's easy to just put nuts under the bracket. FE covers are easy to find. FM covers are not.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have all the hubs brakes axles drive shaft and differential. The frame has he welded nuts already for the front mount so that bracket is easy. If they were not it's easy to just put nuts under the bracket. FE covers are easy to find. FM covers are not.
Fyi the upper and lower A arms are different too. Sounds like you can use the 2wd cover though.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess I forgot to mention I have the controls arms as well. Talked to a former Honda tech and he thought the covers were the same but originally came with or without the steel plug under different part numbers. I will keep ya posted and will take pics of the process. I'm just stupid enough to try it. If all else fails I will get a new cover. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
I know some one who just done that conversion a couple of months back , he had to change the cover , said ES cover are a dime a dozen , FM covers are a littler harder to find

·
Registered
132 Posts
Guess I forgot to mention I have the controls arms as well. Talked to a former Honda tech and he thought the covers were the same but originally came with or without the steel plug under different part numbers. I will keep ya posted and will take pics of the process. I'm just stupid enough to try it. If all else fails I will get a new cover. Thanks for the input everyone.
Please do! I was just looking at pictures of the 2wd and 4wd cases and yea they look pretty much identical minus one has a hole. I say go for it. Are you planning on drilling that plug out? Or does it press out. I have a bad block I could try it on for you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update. The case isnt plugged. It flat isnt machined. Found a good used one for $56.00 output shaft b $9.99 cv boot kits $30.00 orginal cash of control arms spindles axles diff and driveshaft $150.00 works like a dreams and wasnt hard at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks like you're well on your way, I did my 2wd 08 rancher 420 last winter and it's still working great, it was kinda of fun seeing it all come together, good luck on the rest of it

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 420s have 2 and 4 wheel selectable so it drives good, but even when it's in 4 it still drives pretty good, it does drive different not that it's a bad different, that's the 420s though

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pretty much a weekend project. To be honest the steering seems a little heavier and when you hit the gas hard it launches instead of spinning. Have to actually abuse the poor thing to see how it does later
Good deal! Some people make it out to be completely miserable to drive it full time 4x4. You made the switch so I was wondering first hand experience lol.

I need to need figure out what I'm gonna do for front brakes and then mine will be ready to go in.

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
A " Wide Open " 4x2 kick out is expensive but worth every penny , easy to install , I have a couple of them on 300's , makes it more fun to ride and you will feel better the next morning ----- I am going to try something kind of similar to what you done -------------- I am going to take the electric shift front diff out my 2002 TRX450FM and put a standard diff from a full time 4x4 TRX450 with a 4x2 kick out , all that electric stuff is just something to break , especially when it spends a lot of time under water

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Looks really good, good luck on the rest :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts