Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , i am having this problem where it takes forever to start up the quad , it feels like it is flooded but , nope it isnt .. anyhow ive cleaned the carb inside out and its still does that annoying thing , starter turns a lot and a lot .. and bam it runs ... sometimes it wont even start up , even with the choke pulled or not ..... , ive changed my spark plug to new one...

i am thinking it might be time to change the carb... (well at this point i dont know what to do) so my question goes as follows :

Are Mikuni Carb even worth it ? or should i just stick with OEM (pretty darn expensive)

Unless you can help me fix this f**** problem , thanks

Fourtrax 350 , 2001

THANKS!!!

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
is the carb that is on it now oem ??..or china after market ?. are you sure it's the carb ?, have you checked/tested everything else ?. valves adjusted right ?, timing correct ?, plug firing right ?. fuel reaching carb ?. compression good ?. before you start tossing parts at it ?, you need to check/adjust if needed ?, this way it narrows it down a lot !.

Reactions: XplicitRacing6

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the carb that is on it now oem ??..or china after market ?. are you sure it's the carb ?, have you checked/tested everything else ?. valves adjusted right ?, timing correct ?, plug firing right ?. fuel reaching carb ?. compression good ?. before you start tossing parts at it ?, you need to check/adjust if needed ?, this way it narrows it down a lot !.
It runs fine when started , i didnt have any problems before i went on vacation , i didnt touch it for over a week as i was in cuba , but when i got back i wanted to start it and let it run a bit ... i tuned everything before i left, compression was good the rest was good too .. i just dont know lol

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
It runs fine when started , i didnt have any problems before i went on vacation , i didnt touch it for over a week as i was in cuba , but when i got back i wanted to start it and let it run a bit ... i tuned everything before i left, compression was good the rest was good too .. i just dont know lol
then you need to start from scratch, start over. work your way from the fuel tank, petcock, all the way to the carb, make sure it's getting plenty of fuel ?. you can't let these sit for weeks end, and not have fuel related problems with todays gasoline!. the next time it won't start ?, shoot a SHORT burst of starting fluid to the intake side of the carb, try cranking it then, if it fires over from this ?, then its a done deal that your having fuel issues. if it won't fire off starting fluid ?, then this tells me its a compression issue ?, spark issue ?, timing issue ?.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then you need to start from scratch, start over. work your way from the fuel tank, petcock, all the way to the carb, make sure it's getting plenty of fuel ?. you can't let these sit for weeks end, and not have fuel related problems with todays gasoline!. the next time it won't start ?, shoot a SHORT burst of starting fluid to the intake side of the carb, try cranking it then, if it fires over from this ?, then its a done deal that your having fuel issues. if it won't fire off starting fluid ?, then this tells me its a compression issue ?, spark issue ?, timing issue ?.

Yeah ... I went back on it today and it started right away .. weird as F .. ive decided to do just like you said even tho it started fine ..

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts

Yeah ... I went back on it today and it started right away .. weird as F .. ive decided to do just like you said even tho it started fine ..
then is sounds like you were not getting enough fuel to the carb ?, or any at all ?. good plan on checking it all over again !. better to fix it now ?, then be stranded miles away from home huh ?..lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup , it sounded like that... but i think it was getting too much , i think it got flooded .... weird because i swear it didnt feel like it but once it started i went to give it gas and it died ... so i adjusted the carb gas mixture screw and drained the carb and it was fine after that ... wasnt the best because its kinda hard to tune it up good at minus 20 celsius ... lol

but i went ahead and ordered a carb rebuild kit, float and all im gonna give it another good clean and swap the guts with new ones ... i wont hurt !

Thanks for your input :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts