Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and was hoping to have a couple questions answered starting with my 4 wheeler I just purchased honda rancher 350. It runs fine starts great does have a gas leak which I know to be the petcock is bad, but once warmed up does blow white smoke out the exaust so my questions are.......
Would you fix only the piston rings and see if that cheap and simple fix does the job?
Or
Purchase a one size up piston and than bore out the orginal cylinder seeing it will all be disassembled either way?
And
Has anyone done a 400 top end kit conversion? Ideas?
Also
I have never done any of this before so just don't want to do a half ass job do it right the first time around even if it cost where would be the best places to get some cheap but reliable OEM parts from?

Thank you
Kyle

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You got a sweet ride there! I have one almost identical that I am working on right now but it's green.

Depending on how bad your rings are, I would go with the oversized piston. Mine was bored out before I bought it when it still wasn't working. I put a new solenoid in and she fired right up. I'm guessing but if it is smoking and your rings are bad, your cylinder is probably bad and it would be better to just bore it out.

As for parts, Rocky Mountain Atv (will price match anything), Cheap Cycle parts, Partzilla, Bike Bandit, and Honda Partshouse are all cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice ride

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and was hoping to have a couple questions answered starting with my 4 wheeler I just purchased honda rancher 350. It runs fine starts great does have a gas leak which I know to be the petcock is bad, but once warmed up does blow white smoke out the exaust so my questions are.......
Would you fix only the piston rings and see if that cheap and simple fix does the job?
Or
Purchase a one size up piston and than bore out the orginal cylinder seeing it will all be disassembled either way?
And
Has anyone done a 400 top end kit conversion? Ideas?
Also
I have never done any of this before so just don't want to do a half ass job do it right the first time around even if it cost where would be the best places to get some cheap but reliable OEM parts from?

Thank you
Kyle

Welcome to the forum....I have one just like it as well that I am in the process of rebuilding. Best of luck to you. This forum is full of wise old men(and young men) If you need any help please ask. No question is to stupid, it's the difference in $40 or $400.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts