Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 350 rancher will not shift. I recently converted it to 4x4 and rebuilt the top end. Before the 4x4 conversion it always shifted perfectly. After the conversion I adjusted the clutch because I had to replace the front cover. It shifted ok then, sometimes driving I would have to hit the button twice to get it to shift. I thought it was out of adjustment. Readjusted it, worked a little bit better. I took it on a ride this past Saturday to break in the new top end, the first hour or so it shifted pretty good. Sometimes had to hit the button twice. As the day went on it got increasingly harder to shift. Had to hit the buttons several times to get it to shift. Got it home, adjusted clutch again. No better. Replaced angle sensor with a new one. Still same problem. I took all free play out of clutch. Still same. Gave it all the free play possible, still doesn't work. I have no idea what this could be at this point. the clutch isn't slipping so I don't think my clutches are worn

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to mention, tried shifting using the shaft in side of motor. Goes as far back as it will go but does not change gears.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is anyone gonna help me?!?!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I adjusted the clutch again and itshifted perfect for about 5 minutes. Then it got stuck in reverse and had to be towed home. Readjusted and it worked for about another 5 minutes and I had to drive 10 miles home in 1st...

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
sounds like your having trouble getting the clutch adjusted right ?.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
or your electric shift motor or gears needs some grease ?. weak battery ?.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The electric shift isn't it. I adjusted the clutch per the manual, and it started to shift correctly for just long enough for me to get it down the road into 5th gear, then it got stuck in gear again. Now, even with adjusting clutch, it still will not shift. I almost feel like it may be bent shift forks, I just don't want it to be. What all can I rule out before tearing into the motor? I know it isn't an electric shift issue because it will not shift using the shaft in the side of the motor either. When shifting with the shaft, it clicks like its going into gear but it doesn't actually go into gear

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the reply

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
tear the front back off, electric shift motor out, and see if you can use the side shifting shaft to change gears ?, if you can ?, then its up front. if you can't ?, then it's inside the motor ?, but I will bet it's up front some where.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I Found This info...

I am working on my Neighbor's 2011 Rancher. While on U-Tube I found a guy that had a problem with the gears that the shift motor turns. He found a broken gear and the broken teeth were binding up the shift motor. That was going to be my next move, till the Rancher started working great all by itself... That person bought a new gear, replaced it and all was good again...Good luck with your problem...

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
I am working on my Neighbor's 2011 Rancher. While on U-Tube I found a guy that had a problem with the gears that the shift motor turns. He found a broken gear and the broken teeth were binding up the shift motor. That was going to be my next move, till the Rancher started working great all by itself... That person bought a new gear, replaced it and all was good again...Good luck with your problem...
too damn many issues with electric shift models !, you could not give me a brand new one from the crate !..lol. manual shifts are the best, less moving parts ?, less electrical crap to fix !..lol.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
too damn many issues with electric shift models !, you could not give me a brand new one from the crate !..lol. manual shifts are the best, less moving parts ?, less electrical crap to fix !..lol.
At least the shift motor on a manual usually repairs itself with a few days rest :biggrin: Having said that, I have heard they're susceptible to alcohol damage :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pulled clutch cover. All shift linkage in front of motor looks good. Started spinning the clutches by hand and wiggling the shift linkage. Before reassembling the motor, I stuck a wrench on the emergency shaft and it shifted perfect through every gear. drove it today, it sometimes shifter perfect or sometimes took 2-3 tries to shift. Once it got stuck in neutral so I wiggled the emergency shaft a little and then it started shifting again. Sometimes on a down shift you can hear the gears rattle for a split second before they mesh into each other .

Shift forks??

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
pulled clutch cover. All shift linkage in front of motor looks good. Started spinning the clutches by hand and wiggling the shift linkage. Before reassembling the motor, I stuck a wrench on the emergency shaft and it shifted perfect through every gear. drove it today, it sometimes shifter perfect or sometimes took 2-3 tries to shift. Once it got stuck in neutral so I wiggled the emergency shaft a little and then it started shifting again. Sometimes on a down shift you can hear the gears rattle for a split second before they mesh into each other .

Shift forks??
my money says your electric shift motor isn't making a complete shift. can you shift through all gears with the emergency shifter shaft ?, if so ?, then this tells me your electric shift is not working right.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When the ES stops shifting it, it stops shifting with the shaft too. It's not an ES issue, I've tested the entire system for faults and none are present.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
When the ES stops shifting it, it stops shifting with the shaft too. It's not an ES issue, I've tested the entire system for faults and none are present.
you did not do what I asked !!. I wanted you to use the emergency shifter ( the large shaft on left foot ), and see if you could shift this way ?, if you can ?, then this is a electric shift motor issue ?, if you can't ?, then this is a transmission issue inside the motor ?.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
you won't always get a trouble code just because it fails to shift ?. if the shift motor is making a good shift ?, then the angle sensor is picking it up. but !, if the transmission is not shifting like it should ?, then it's inside the motor.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Shadetree, it's good to see you offering advice and embracing the electric shift models these days. (j/k)

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Shadetree, it's good to see you offering advice and embracing the electric shift models these days. (j/k)
lol, I've worked on a few ?, they work the same way a manual shift does ( motor wise ), and have the same transmission as a manual shift, the only difference between the two is on manual shift ?, you use your foot to change gears instead of a stupid electric motor changing gears when you push the button ?, that's it !. with the electric shift models, you rely on a small motor, a angle sensor, speed sensor, and god knows what all else to make sure it's changing gears correctly ?..lol. worthless junk in my book !. i'll stick with what I know is simple, and works ?, manual shifts !..lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts