Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
You might be able to add an extra shim to the clutch pack in the diff, if there is one? and tighten it up, or weld the thing solid. But other than that, no.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Nope... I doubt that there is any such aftermarket parts ever made for them. Why? Because they already are... functionally the same as a locker. :)

They are very strong front diffs. Generally have to run them without oil for a long time to kill them.

If yours is failing there are used ones for sale on the fLeebay. Some are very low priced too.

If yours is slipping & making a snapping sound it can be fixed by putting different gear oil in it than the 80w90 it calls for.

Welcome to the forums!

What year have you got? Got any pics of your 350D you can share...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1986. Don't have any pics on the phone. She's a hand me down. Dad bought her brand new. I've had her about 10 years.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Nope... I doubt that there is any such aftermarket parts ever made for them. Why? Because they already are... functionally the same as a locker. :)

They are very strong front diffs. Generally have to run them without oil for a long time to kill them.

If yours is failing there are used ones for sale on the fLeebay. Some are very low priced too.

If yours is slipping & making a snapping sound it can be fixed by putting different gear oil in it than the 80w90 it calls for.

Welcome to the forums!

What year have you got? Got any pics of your 350D you can share...?
It's "functionally" nothing like a locker. It's limited slip at best, and in reality more like an open diff.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
OK, but mine is 30 years old and works like it should. Can you explain to me why/how I got so lucky when all the others, even new ones, are functionally open diffs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine functions as limited slip. Always has as long as I can remember. The bike is 1 year older than I am, dad bought it new.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
OK, but mine is 30 years old and works like it should. Can you explain to me why/how I got so lucky when all the others, even new ones, are functionally open diffs?
So your front end acts like a locker how? YOU explain to me how your 30 year old Honda front diff acts like a locker, and I'll explain how it acts like a open diff.....

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Mine functions as limited slip. Always has as long as I can remember. The bike is 1 year older than I am, dad bought it new.
Ditto for the one we had, bought it new in 1987, sold it in 2005. Was a great machine in it's day, still is now, I can say many good things about it, but having a locker isn't one of them lol

·
Super Moderator
4,997 Posts
Now now gents, play nicely ;-)

On the locker issue.... I really wouldn't weld it, I shimmed my 300 front diff twice, once was great but the second shim (thicker) pretty much locked it. I never got to try it out in the mud because it was so damn hard to steer I took it out and left it stock!
My source for shims was very limited in choice but I'm sure, if you wanted to, you could shim them up just a little and still be able to steer with some ease.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
So your front end acts like a locker how? YOU explain to me how your 30 year old Honda front diff acts like a locker, and I'll explain how it acts like a open diff.....
A locker acts like a spool when power is applied to it, yet will allow one wheel to slip while making a turn.

My 30 year old front diff acts like a spool when power is applied to it, yet will allow one wheel to slip while making a turn.

The only functional difference between a locker and a limited slip is the choice of clutching mechanism built in. Neither are open diffs, those have no clutching mechanism whatsoever.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Wrong. Your front diff does NOT act like a spool, ever. Get one tire in a bind and the other will spin, whether the wheels are turned or straight it doesn't matter, it takes very little resistance at one tire for power to be redirected to the other. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't doubt then FSM for the 350 refers to it as limited slip as well? When I referred to it open I meant that's about how useful their LSD is compared to "real 4wd" like you THINK you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
I never said it did act like a spool! I stated that a locker and a limited slip were functionally the same. They just use different mechanisms to achieve the same result. Open diffs have no locking capability.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I'm lost ........ Is the ops dif down ? Or is he just wanting to tighten it up , as mac said welding or shims, You can cheat that front dif, like this, and still have good steering, unless he's wanting a full out mud machine.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Jmo and not ment to ruffle feathers , the trx350d or foreman s are great machines but aren't that fun to drive in the 1st place , a locked front dif ? Would (to me) be even worse ,and limit the uses greatly...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm lost ........ Is the ops dif down ? Or is he just wanting to tighten it up , as mac said welding or shims, You can cheat that front dif, like this, and still have good steering, unless he's wanting a full out mud machine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxzsQ9TO6dM[/url[/quote] The Gordon L Banks test was the best. Did he really have to get thrown on the ground the third time to prove the point? Lol

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Yeah, i wandered that to, thrown completely out of camra range lol! Ah what some people will do to prove a point......

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I never said it did act like a spool! I stated that a locker and a limited slip were functionally the same. They just use different mechanisms to achieve the same result. Open diffs have no locking capability.
I guess I'm being too subtle?

"Nope... I doubt that there is any such aftermarket parts ever made for them. Why? Because they already are... functionally the same as a locker. :)"

"A locker acts like a spool when power is applied to it, yet will allow one wheel to slip while making a turn."

"My 30 year old front diff acts like a spool when power is applied to it, yet will allow one wheel to slip while making a turn."

You guessed it, *******

"The only functional difference between a locker and a limited slip is the choice of clutching mechanism built in."

More of the same.

"I stated that a locker and a limited slip were functionally the same. They just use different mechanisms to achieve the same result."

Here we go again....

I really don't think you grasp the concept of what a locker means in the world of ATV's.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts