Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1988 TRX350D that is making a popping noise in the front end. I jacked it up this afternoon and it's silent when turning the handlebars back and forth. But when I rotate the wheels it pops a little. When driving it straight forward it sometimes makes a slight pop and then stops. But when driving it forward with the wheels turned it is loud and constant. What are some common failure points on these that may cause this and can you still purchase new front end parts for them?

·
Premium Member
12,342 Posts
Welcome to the forums Koolbreeze , the cv-shaft would be the lost likely cause of popping noise with the wheel turned and moving

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
welcome to the forums. common problem, your front cv-shafts are worn badly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks. I guess I will try some of the aftermarket ones then since it's hard to know what you're getting with used ones. My dad bought it new but it has been retired to backup duties around the farm for the most part. It has been one tough machine through the years and I still use it some during hunting season, so I'd like to fix it.

I'm decent at turning wrenches on autos but have never worked on an ATV much. Are there any how-to's floating around on switching the axles out on these models? I've come across some on the newer ones, but not these.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
See of powersportsnation.com has used OEM. They will be of better quality and PSN has a 30 day guarantee on used parts.

I haven't torn into a 350D front end yet. @shadetree can tell you though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With hunting season in the rear view, I'm gearing up to replace the front CV axles. What all else should I replace while I have it apart? I see there are 2 seals on the knuckle (inner and outer), should I plan to replace those? What about the brake drum seals and orings? To my knowledge it has never been apart, so no telling what I'll find.

Speaking of brakes, I see Honda has discontinued a lot of those parts as well, including the shoes. What are some good aftermarkets and are there any good online aftermarket parts dealers? I'm limited to dealers and salvage yards locally.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need a little help guys. I tore down the left side of this morning and I'm in the process of trying to order the parts I need to put it back together. There is a rubber seal/oring on the knuckle that seals the brake backing plate to it. I'd like to replace that seal/oring but I'm not sure I know which part it is on the exploded view. I "think" it's going to be #32 here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1988/trx350d-a-fourtrax-forman-4x4/fr-brake-panel

That shows it next to the hub as if it goes on the hub, but there isn't an oring there. 64.6mm x 1.3 is about right on the size, so I think that's it but wanted to confirm with those of you more familar with the bike. I might could use gasket maker instead, not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I need a little help guys. I tore down the left side of this morning and I'm in the process of trying to order the parts I need to put it back together. There is a rubber seal/oring on the knuckle that seals the brake backing plate to it. I'd like to replace that seal/oring but I'm not sure I know which part it is on the exploded view. I "think" it's going to be #32 here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1988/trx350d-a-fourtrax-forman-4x4/fr-brake-panel

That shows it next to the hub as if it goes on the hub, but there isn't an oring there. 64.6mm x 1.3 is about right on the size, so I think that's it but wanted to confirm with those of you more familar with the bike. I might could use gasket maker instead, not sure.
#31 here

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1988/trx350d-a-fourtrax-forman-4x4/knuckle

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't got into much with the front ends on these yet beyond the brake panel. Are you talking about the dust seals on the inner and outer knuckles?
Part #'s 27 and 30
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1988/trx350d-a-fourtrax-forman-4x4/knuckle
No not the seals that are in front of and behind the knuckle bearing. It's is an oring around the outside of the knuckle that seals it to the brake backing panel.
Hmm, that one appears to be behind the knuckle holder, which I haven't removed. The oring I need is around around the knuck, between it and the brake backing panel. You remove the 4 bolts that hold the backing panel to the kniuckle and take the backing panel off to expose the oring, before even removing the knuckle. The arrow is pointing to in the photo above and it would very easy to miss but it's there. I'm guessing it;s to prevent water from leaking between the backing plate and the knuckle into the brake and drum assembly.

·
Registered
613 Posts
On the 300 it shows where it behind the brake panel, which is where it is on my 350D also. #27 in this diagram
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1988/trx300fw-a-fourtrax/front-brake-panel
Okay, you forced me to go back and study the manual. Take a look at page 12.0 - it shows the o-ring/seal exactly where you say it is.
Page 13.0 shows it also but not as well.

Then, I parked out on Partzilla looking at years before and after your 1988.

As @duckofdeath said, above, that ring is part #27. It is also listed on a 1989 Foreman as part #32.
The ring is 64.6x1.3mm.

I don't know why the manual made finding this part so difficult. LOL.

Again, if I'm wrong........ no, don't tell me. I've given you 2 hours of my life and refuse to be wrong. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the manual shows it on 12-0 "After '87". The position number changes depending on which year you look at, but it's got to be part # 37300-HA7-751, which is 64.6x1.3mm, as you said. What confused me is that the exploded view of the 350D on Partzilla shows it in front of the hub, as if it goes on the hub which doesn't. But the exploded view of the 300 has it in the correct position behind the backing plate.

As a side note, the CV axle on the left side has little bit of slack in it. I'd say maybe an 1/8" or so, while the used replacement I bought doesn't have any. So I'm hopeful that CV joint is the source of my noise. It's coming from that side but it's difficult to isolate the source. The knuckle and kingpin bearings all look great to me, even the grease was fresh, which is amazing to me since it's never been apart. The inside seal on the knuckle is brittle and cracked though.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes, the manual shows it on 12-0 "After '87". The position number changes depending on which year you look at, but it's got to be part # 37300-HA7-751, which is 64.6x1.3mm, as you said. What confused me is that the exploded view of the 350D on Partzilla shows it in front of the hub, as if it goes on the hub which doesn't. But the exploded view of the 300 has it in the correct position behind the backing plate.

As a side note, the CV axle on the left side has little bit of slack in it. I'd say maybe an 1/8" or so, while the used replacement I bought doesn't have any. So I'm hopeful that CV joint is the source of my noise. It's coming from that side but it's difficult to isolate the source. The knuckle and kingpin bearings all look great to me, even the grease was fresh, which is amazing to me since it's never been apart. The inside seal on the knuckle is brittle and cracked though.

Thanks for the help.
Hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone else, one day, if they are trying to figure out that 350D Partzilla schematic. LOL.

My 2014 Rancher had the same noise on the front right. I replaced both CV axles, while I was at it, and it solved the problem. I replaced the bearings and seals in the knuckle while I was on such a roll. Yes, amazing those bearings are in such good shape, but I'll tell you like @retro told me - even though the bearing looks good, take it out, remove the old grease and repack it. I thought mine was fine but when I removed the old grease it wasn't as clean as I thought. LOL
While you have it all apart go ahead and replace that knuckle seal or you'll hate yourself when you have to spend time down the road taking it apart again.

Take Care

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do plan to replace both seals in the knuckle but I didn't order the bearings. Might should have but there isn't any slack in the wheel and the bearing turns smoothly, so I think it's good.

The axle for the right side came today and unfortunately it has a little slack in in the joint, so I'm not sure if it's good or not. I may try it though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I do plan to replace both seals in the knuckle but I didn't order the bearings. Might should have but there isn't any slack in the wheel and the bearing turns smoothly, so I think it's good.

The axle for the right side came today and unfortunately it has a little slack in in the joint, so I'm not sure if it's good or not. I may try it though.
Slack in the joint?? Sorry, but you lost me on that one. Did you order CV shaft with boots already on it?
Since you said you haven't tried it yet, I assume you are not talking about the inner joint.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts