Honda ATV Forum banner

Trx350 no spark

3K views 37 replies 2 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
the bikes had me and the owner stummped for about 4 weeks on why it doesnt have spark ive tested pretty much everything that you can test on it, im seeing 120v on ac and 80 on dc at the coil with a pva on the multimeter, have had the pickup coil and stator wires and output tested by my local honda mechanic, tried 3 cdis,7 coils. Chased all the wires and made sure they have continuity ( no excess resistance) cleaned all the grounds ect. Everything to my knowledge is good and short of digging the concrete up in the shed im stumped. ( we fixed the neutral light wire that was preventing it cranking got spark and the owner tests spark by holding the plug LOL went through his arm and leg wilst bare foot on the ground? Any help is much appreciated

#7 ·
so if your holding the spark plug wire or spark plug, and crank it over, it lights your butt up..right ?, but once you put the spark plug in the cylinder..your saying it wont start ?. if this is the case ?, put the spark plug in the cylinder, boot on it, take a can of starting fluid, spray a SHORT burst of starting fluid into the air filter if its in the air box ?, or if the filter and air box is off ?, spray a SHORT burst of starting fluid into the back side of the carb, see if it cranks then ?, if it does ?, then this is a fuel issue, not a spark issue.

#9 ·
was the c.d.i. from honda ??..as in..oem ?, and not from amazon or ebay ?!. are you getting a neutral light when the key is turned on ?. checked all wires for power going in, and out of ignition switch ?. made sure all fuses are not blown by checking power in, and out of fuse ?. if you are not getting a neutral light on the dash now ?, it will not fire !.

#15 ·
ok, can you pull the spark plug boot off the coil wire, trim about 1/4 inch off the end , the hold it by the rubber !, near the cylinder, and crank it over, see if you get spark then ?. if you need too, use a pair of insulated pliers to keep from getting shocked ?, but it should be ok if you just hold it by the rubber insulation, see if you get spark then.

#18 ·
voltage does not matter at this point. if you ohm'ed out the coil per service manual ?, then spec's are in there. but if the coil is getting fire ?, but not to the end to the boot ?, then you will never get spark. and i do hope you are testing all this with a new spark plug...right ?.

#19 ·
while your at the atv, MAKE SURE TO PULL THE KILL SWITCH HOUSING APART, AND SEE IF ANY WIRE LEADS HAVE CAME OFF THE ROCKER SWITCH FOR THE KILL SWITCH !.

#31 ·
before you swapped pick up coils...was it at anytime firing then ?. any chance you may have pinched any of the wires at the back when you did this work ?. you really need to take a step back, and think of when all this started ?, what were you doing when it just died ?. when it did die, did you check from spark plug spark then ?. was it shut off anytime with the kill switch ?, was/has the ignition switch been checked for power going in, and coming out ?. most important question i have is...WHY DID THE NEUTRAL LIGHT GO OUT ?, AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO MAKE IT COME BACK ON ?. have you checked the diode in the fuse block ?.

#32 ·
this is useless too me, why ?, because all it shows me what i already know, the spark plug is connecting the coil to the engine as ground for spark...this does not ground the coil to the frame !. and have you checked all your harness grounds to frame ??.

#38 ·
well..i am sure i asked you a couple times to pull the switch housing apart, and check the switch wires...did i not ???, but anyway..thank you for the update !. as i said...the simple stuff always bites us hard when we over look it !.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.