Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as part of my project bike I needed to fit a new steering rod bearing. The out ring of the bearing wasn't going to be removed without a struggle (that's a story for a different time) so I had to remove the wheels, the front brake assembly, suspension trusses, shock, drive shaft and front diff to be able to get at the bearing.
Any way I have come to put it back together (lost the photos that I took beforehand) and something isn't right. The rims of the wheels are just touching the shocks in a straight line, when you turn the steering the wheels are hitting the shock.

I've tried to the take photos as best that I can.
Anybody care to suggest what is wrong? Have I put something on the wrong side, back to front, upside down?
Any suggestions gratefully received!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
first thing I must say, your atv is NOT a 1988'ish !!..lol. second thing is, I know this for a fact, as I am rebuilding a 1988 trx300fw right now. on the plate in your 3rd pic, from left to right, read us the 10th digit in the vin number, then we can tell you what year you have !. third: your pics are too damn close, its hard to see what you got wrong with the pics so big..lol.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
FWIW here’s a pic of my 93

Is it just the right side?

I’d have to wonder if the lower and or upper A arms were swapped. compare lower knuckle tab positions. Are you using the manual?

Your lower right A Arm has a roached crossmember—is it bent?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
The more closely i looked, the more i thot it was a good assembly.

Also suspect the wheels—maybe they are off another rig—wrong offset?

The lower right A arm badly corroded tho

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
first thing I must say, your atv is NOT a 1988'ish !!
Yeah, sorry. That was my original quad. Must update my signature.

Also suspect the wheels—maybe they are off another rig—wrong offset?
I think those are the wrong offset wheels, and that's the problem that's causing them to hit.
Well I never!
The front wheels are similar condition as the struts and the front of the frame (i.e. rotten) so it didn't cross my mind that the wheels might have been swapped at some point.

Front Wheel 1.jpg

Front Wheel 2.jpg

Looking at the Rear Wheel, looks like that might be off a different model as well?

Rear Wheel.jpg

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Wow those wheels are about gone!

The rear offset is supposed to be different than the front offset on a 300. Those look like original wheels, but odd that they would sit so close to the upper a-arm.

Don't you have another 300? Swap the wheels, see if the fitment is the same.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear offset is supposed to be different than the front offset on a 300. Those look like original wheels, but odd that they would sit so close to the upper a-arm.

Don't you have another 300? Swap the wheels, see if the fitment is the same.
My main 300 is several miles away so it won't be easy to swap them around. I've attached a pic of my main 300 and the wheels do look different.

TRX300.JPG
The only thing that is making me question it, is that the condition of the front wheels just kinda looks right in comparison with the rest of the front end.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
lol, you got rims from an old trx350 !!!. '86-'89 trx350 fourtrax rims, which are 24x9x11, is this what your tire size is ?.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
yep agreed - those are trx 350 rims.

years ago I had a guy drop his 300 off because his front end "needed work"

well, he had 350 front rims on his 300 FW. the rims wore clear through the bottom eyelits of the shocks!
yeah...the off-set on those old school trx350's are wayyyyyyyy different than any trx300 front rims !..lol. I noticed this years ago..very strange to say the least, but thats how honda made those rims back then for those old girls :).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

Looking at this ad for a similar aged (i.e. 1999 / 2000 ish) TRX300, they have similar wheels to the ones that I have -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-TRX-300-FourTrax-1994-2000-not-sure-of-age/303118031703?hash=item46933e1b57:g:tmYAAOSwxAxcp3O2

Did the last of the TRX300's ever come with the same wheels as the first TRX350?

I'm assuming that they must be using spacers in order to stop the rims hitting the shocks?
no, honda never used the rim sizes from the old trx350's on any of their trx300's.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

Looking at this ad for a similar aged (i.e. 1999 / 2000 ish) TRX300, they have similar wheels to the ones that I have -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-TRX-300-FourTrax-1994-2000-not-sure-of-age/303118031703?hash=item46933e1b57:g:tmYAAOSwxAxcp3O2

Did the last of the TRX300's ever come with the same wheels as the first TRX350?

I'm assuming that they must be using spacers in order to stop the rims hitting the shocks?
Here’s a pic of a 90s trx300 with similar rims.
Tell ya what i will measure the offset on both of mine and let ya know.
Also check the mudthrowers.com
OEM wheel listing it has a table showing wheel and tire sizes with offset

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Ok i took some measurements from what i can tell there should be 1 1/2 inches of clearance betw tire sidewall and shock eye

The offset I measured on a trx300 wheel is 5 inches; tire width is 8 inches

the offset on a trx350 wheel is 8 inches; tire width is nine inches.

If you measure your wheel depth then you know

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
Goober
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing