Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 TRX 300. I got it from a friend and it is running really rich no matter what i do. I just rebuilt the carb and nothing. Any help i can get will be most helpful. thanks.

Stretch

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Have you checked the air filter to make sure it isn't about stopped up? The choke isn't on, is it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had it running for a little while with out the air filter,the choke seems to be working right it just runns really rich. This is a project for me. I got it from a friend. It had sat in a barn for the last two years.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
How do you know that it's running rich? What exactly is it doing?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
the spark plug is black and it is burning oil, u can smell it when it is running
Just because it's burning oil, doesn't mean it's running rich. If the oil is blue, then yes, it's burning oil and you need a top end rebuild.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Agreed^^^ do a compression check! Your prolly burning through the rings

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Won't it smell different if it is burning oil and running rich. As i remember when an old car of mine was burning oil it had this nasty smell, this is quite different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slammed I'm from just down the road, too bad i'm not there now. I grew up just south of plymouth, but now i'm in virginia beach.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
when you do the compression test make sure you have the throttle wide open to get the right reading

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Also, make sure the battery is fully charged, so the engine will turn fast enough to get the correct reading.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Slammed I'm from just down the road, too bad i'm not there now. I grew up just south of plymouth, but now i'm in virginia beach.
Sweet man Plymouth isnt far at all. Altho i dont wish this humid weather on anyone lol. But yeah you can get a compression tester with a guage and a piece to screw into your plug hole, or you can stick your finger over the hole just to make sure you have some compression i mean obveously the finger test is a little less accurate, ok alot less accurate lol. It will still give you a little bit of insight on how your compression is tho.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
And if the compression is bad it is the piston rings and if it is good then what?
If you have low compression, then the rings/cylinder is worn or the valves aren't sealing good.

You mentioned in a previous post that it was burning oil. Is it smoking? When you checked the spark plug, you mentioned it was black, but was it wet and oily looking?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It isn't real smokey but u can smell the exaust and it stinks up the house. It has a stronger odor i can't really describe it right now.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Deffinetly running rich. I bet mine smells the exact same way right now. Im running way to rich rightnow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts