21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Something that caught my attention...

I see some of the guys that are mad into tuning and mudding are drilling the slide in the carb, a 1/8” hole, I don’t know where, I have asked the question though. @retro I’m sure you may know the answer to this?

They say it improves throttle response and 90% of the guys who are doing this donit when snorkelling.
Tuned in for this ^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Goober, one minor correction. that is the fuel screw not the pilot jet. The pilot jet is next to the main jet inside the float chamber. Hope this helps bro
Thanks for the correction. Yup that is pilot screw not jet. So we were both halfway dere. LOLs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Ouch! Still quite expensive. I just looked on PSN at used OEM, around $50. May be worth me trying another carb I guess, think I’ll opt for a used OEM first though I think.
I remember working on my 450 , I had that carb off many times cleaning it and could never get it right , bought a new after market carb , which was a waste of money , got a brand new OEM carb and it ran like a scalded ape ---- you never really know with a used rig , no telling what the PO did along the way -------- I think the problem with after market carbs are they are more generic to fit several engines and not jetted for your application , threw in some poor quality work and you got a turd

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’m done with the carb! Bought a new primer kit. I didn’t spring for the new starter valve but I had a new spare for my 86 so robbed the oring off it.
Recently bought a set of oring probes HVAC guys use. Stripped that oring off real nice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Wow @retro
I put some alcohol (not fuel) in the bowl like you described and squirted it til I got some out the other end i was so surprised it shot out like a squirt gun.

Then I put the bowl on the carb. Screwed it down and started priming. I was only a dribble at first and I thot how disappointing is this how it works. Opened the butterfly and slider. Kept after it trying to see the back of the post to understand how it worked and then it started shooting about 8 feet. I was like ok now I’m Seeing how this works so kept after it to empty the bowl.

THEN I heard a little pfft and fluid started shooting a super nice tight stream over 12 feet across the garage. Holy cow now I’m impressed. Peered into the back of the carb and I clearly see the back of the post has a tiny orifice in it.

So that’s how the primer works. LOL 🤟🏻

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
You got that carb ultra-clean throughout as you always do, now dint' ya...!
You are a master among the many Goober! I'm impressed, thanks for sharing all your works in these threads! :)

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
So I have a question on differences in 300 carbs.

I have a few bikes in the yard at the moment and the only obvious difference I see is in the choke plunger. Early and late are different. When was the change made?

I'm looking at a 95 carb at the moment, and it looks the same as the 97 I need, but Partzillas lists interchange at 96-up. Partzilla's schmantic images aren't working at the moment either so that's not helping my search.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Jeep

I have a few TRX300FW available if you want some pics.

My 93 (VE90E) carb is off the quad right now—BTW that 86 starter valve oring (comment above) was too big for it!!!

I also have one of my work quads, a 99, carb off the quad. Yes as Sam mentioned the choke valve on the 99 is longer, thinner and has no oring compared to the 93. Maybe a different choke cable too?

I also have a 94, 95 and 96 that are 100%. I can run up to the garage and take whatever pics you need.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I was just curious if there are any differences other than the choke, and what year that changed.

I have an 88, a 90, a 91, a 95, and two 97's, but I'm not sure what all's been swapped over the years. The 97 and 98 of my buddy's are the same, but if I want to order a used OEM carb what years will fit this 97?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m done with the carb! Bought a new primer kit. I didn’t spring for the new starter valve but I had a new spare for my 86 so robbed the oring off it.
Recently bought a set of oring probes HVAC guys use. Stripped that oring off real nice.
(this post #25)

Hey Goober in the picture of the starter valve there is a washer on the top of the picture that looks like it is hollow on the bottom, conical shaped where does it go?
i got 1 in my Shindy kit.

in this post go #48 then click your link and then go #25 in your post to see the picture I'm talking about.

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Hi Tony
Can you post a pic of the carb you’re working on?

I can break out my spare carb and starter valve.

There’s no oring on the starter valve kit other than the conical ring on the valve itself. But I’ll look in case I overlooked something

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
(this post #25)

Hey Goober in the picture of the starter valve there is a washer on the top of the picture that looks like it is hollow on the bottom, conical shaped where does it go?

in this post go #48 then click your link and then go #25 in your post to see the picture I'm talking about.

Tony
Ahh i see what you mean
I attached a pic
No i do not know what that last piece is shown on the starter valve. The diagram may indicate that the seal exists but it is integral to the starter valve and not replaceable.

Sofar as i know there are only four orings on the carb that are replaceable from the kit: pilot jet has a small and tiny; bowl drain has a small and carb bowl has a large with integral small seal for the primer pump.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
(this post #25)

Tony
Ahh i see what you mean
I attached a pic
No i do not know what that last piece is shown on the starter valve. The diagram may indicate that the seal exists but it is integral to the starter valve and not replaceable.

Sofar as i know there are only four orings on the carb that are replaceable from the kit: pilot jet has a small and tiny; bowl drain has a small and carb bowl has a large with integral small seal for the primer pump.
the part you have circled ?, thats the o-ring that goes around the valve.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
BTW that 86 starter valve oring (comment above) was too big for the 93 starter valve.
I may have ruined the oring because the smaller 93 starter valve bore cut the conical surface.
Oh well a lesson learned about swapping parts

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
9 Participants
Goober
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing