Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!999 TRX300-

I need ideas to resolve a carburetor issue which is evident only when starting after the fuel has been "run out" (i.e. petcock closed and bowl drawn down).

After the fuel supply has been restored and bowl replenished, it is next to impossible to start. It will "attempt" for about 1-2 seconds which can be repeated about every minute.

My work-around has been to remove the air cleaner and choke the air flow by hand. It promptly starts and behaves fine after this, until the ATV sits without use or has been run out of fuel.

It idles and performs great at all speeds.

A visibly damaged primer valve replacement was my best blind shot at correcting this issue.
The carburetor has been disassembled & cleaned and appears to have operated without a filter.

The choke has no positive affect during this start-up dilemma, however it affects the idle once the motor is started.

Any ideas would be appreciated?
Is there a means or trick to determine if the priming pump is working?
There isn't any clue when depressing the plunger.
(I only have a second party service manual)

Thanks

jodie

·
Registered
72 Posts
you should feel some resistance when pushing the primer button, and I'm not sure but you may be able to see the fuel squirting in if you look thru the air intake with the filter off. The choke,,,does it work for you after the enitial start-up? If you left the choke on after it was warm would it kill the motor? Sounds like the chock is not closing fully and doing it's job ( your hand is working the way the choke should be) just a few things to check :ph34r:

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
If you removed the throttle cable assembly did you put the pin back in the proper hole of the needle? if you set it too high you have to much air if you screwed out the pilot jet check the settings. try turning it all the way in until it seats but not tight. Then counting turns back it out about 2 1/2 to 3 turns. you might also want to check to make sure you installed the needle correctly. Make sure you didn't bend your float arm either. try those things then let us know what you come up with... Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grouser,

thanks for your time and help!

There isn't any resistance nor notable change in resistance as the primer button is operated.

Doesn't feel right for a primer pump, but it's not my ATV nor am I familiar with the design.

A better service manual from Honda may describe a test and in the meantime I will check where you suggested for fuel.
It is certainly possible that a fuel passage associated with the primer is obstructed and based on the replacement assembly components, there should be a check valve(or function) somewhere!??

With the choke left activated, the motor will begin to sputter as it warms up but will run rich per the exhaust smell.

I did not perform any choke set-up or adjustment after the carburetor re-installation.
and I don't recall any adjustments per the manual.

Thanks again for the interest & advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fyi
I found a blocked carb. passage which was the primer pump discharge.
Have been unable to clean or blast it clear & appears to require more powerful medicine.
Jodie

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Try using a cutting torch tip cleaner they usually work pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts