Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was Honda's intention for it? Did they ever market products to plug into the socket? Anybody use it?

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
to tell the truth , I consider it good for nothing , the wires are so light going to it that you will melt the wiring harness if you load it up with a Q-Beam or such , seen the damage first hand , I have a bunch of the male plugs used to attach to accessories to that plug , but have never found anything worth plugging into it ----run a heavy gauge wire from the battery with a power plug of your choice

·
Registered
599 Posts
One use for it is just the opposite of what was intended. You can use a Battery Tender Junior with an accessory plug attachment to keep your battery charged. Doing so eliminates the need to get at the battery for charging purposes. In order for this to work, your accessory receptacle must be live when the key is off. Some Honda's are wired that way and some are not, so if yours is not wired that way, you would have to modify the wiring accordingly, but that is not a big issue.

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
The part number you are looking for is 31652-HA0-680 , they sold for $26 but are no longer available , I looked on e-bay and never got a hit ---- I am not into shipping parts

here is a pic of a 300 I bought for parts from a grandfather and his grandson for $300 , he couldn't get fire to the plug and gave up , if you look close the wires going to the accessory plug , they melted all the way back to the battery and destroyed the wiring harness , I put a new wiring harness in the bike and it fired right up , has been a great 2wd bike for friends and family to ride , i don't know what he put in the accessory outlet to melt it down , but note how small a gauge of wire it is

if you look on side the seat , there is a plug that goes to the battery tender , it is a common 2 wire plug , looks just like the 4 wire trailer connector but just two wires , that is what I use for a power plug

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Those accessories wires need a ten amp fuse for protection. That means no more than 120 watts of power can be drawn or you will melt wires or hopefully, blow the fuse.

You can install heavier wire yourself to draw more wattage but the stator can only do so much. Most are capped at around 300 watts and that is at high rpm. At any other time, you will be draining the battery.

The laws of physics here demand that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goober

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Insight is always good.
Anyone know what Honda marketed the plug to be used for? I'm curious about the original intention, more than how it can be adapted to be used, now.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Anyone know what Honda marketed the plug to be used for? I'm curious about the original intention, more than how it can be adapted to be used, now.
more than likely, they designed the plug for spot lights back in the day, as the intentional use of 4-wheelers were thought of for farmers. not sure if you ever seen how they go together ?, but they are made to pull the plug out, attach two wires, then plug it back into the female part that stays on the bars.

Reactions: hodge5

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
more than likely, they designed the plug for spot lights back in the day, as the intentional use of 4-wheelers were thought of for farmers. not sure if you ever seen how they go together ?, but they are made to pull the plug out, attach two wires, then plug it back into the female part that stays on the bars.
Sort of like the removable light on the Big Red? I'd always wondered if they were going for something along that line, and never developed it.

By the way- the first ATV (ATC, to be correct) that I ever drove was a Big Red, and I was never the same afterwards! I immediately fell in love with ATV's in general, and especially the Red. The family of my best friend had one on their dairy farm, as well as a Kawasaki 3 wheeler. Nobody wanted to ride it, but the Honda... that had a line.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Sort of like the removable light on the Big Red? I'd always wondered if they were going for something along that line, and never developed it.

By the way- the first ATV (ATC, to be correct) that I ever drove was a Big Red, and I was never the same afterwards! I immediately fell in love with ATV's in general, and especially the Red. The family of my best friend had one on their dairy farm, as well as a Kawasaki 3 wheeler. Nobody wanted to ride it, but the Honda... that had a line.
the atc 250 big red had a removable headlight if I remember right ?, so did the trx250's back then, you could use them as a spot light. but the trx300's did not have removable headlights, so they designed this outlet to plug a spot light in to them. Honda did offer spot light kits back then, they are very rare to find today ?!.

Reactions: hodge5

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
Here's a pic of my plug getting ready to wire it for a pair of small LED spotlights. Also included pics of the light mount bracket 04505-HC405 which refers to the spotlight 08405-VM550.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

the atc 250 big red had a removable headlight if I remember right ?, so did the trx250's back then, you could use them as a spot light. but the trx300's did not have removable headlights, so they designed this outlet to plug a spot light in to them. Honda did offer spot light kits back then, they are very rare to find today ?!.
That's the kind of info I was digging for. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

That's the kind of info I was digging for. Thanks!
your welcome :).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am considering adding on my '93 300 TRX a pair of Denali DM led lamps that are stated to draw 10 watts and less than 1 amp for the pair of them. I was considering using the auxiliary power outlet. But after reading the comments above perhaps I should wire them independently right back to the battery.
Anyone have any thoughts on this ?
My old machine is awesome and I don't wish to f it up.
Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am considering adding on my '93 300 TRX a pair of Denali DM led lamps that are stated to draw 10 watts and less than 1 amp for the pair of them. I was considering using the auxiliary power outlet. But after reading the comments above perhaps I should wire them independently right back to the battery.
Thanks
Unless you plan to routinely disconnect them, I don't see any advantage to using that power port, and possible disadvantages.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Thanks
Hi: Find the Pink wire on the Ignition switch and wire a switch there to operate the lights you are adding -- that way they will turn off with the key switch so you can't leave them on by accident, which kill your battery.

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
I thot on doing exactly what you said. I bought a waterproof handlebar switch too. So yeah that circuit is fused but needs a switch. I posted a pic for you.
Turns out the light kit I ordered comes with a 40A relay-switched circuit. Low amp primary circuit powered by the plug harness energizes a high amp relay drawing power from the battery

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
Ok I did it works great! Wired the light circuit to the battery and the control circuit to the accessory plug. The control circuit is now powered when I switch on main power (key switch)
Added a pic of my new lights mounted in the optional OEM working light stay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Ok I did it works great! Wired the light circuit to the battery and the control circuit to the accessory plug. The control circuit is now powered when I switch on main power (key switch)
Added a pic of my new lights mounted in the optional OEM working light stay
Good job, the lamps look like they've always been there, nice choice :)

Reactions: Goober
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.