Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I posted up yesterday on the TRX forums which is a carbon copy of this site. Same people running it?

Anyway, im going to say hi here too =P

I have a 87' TRX250X that i've had for 14+ years, never failed me and its been driven hard throughout the years. Recently been replaced with a 02' raptor 660 i got at a good price. Modded the raptor with a new muffler, jet kit and intake and looking to finally do the same with the TRX so i get more use out of it and looking for advice on what to do and what not to bother with. Im having problems with some of my electrical so i have to pretty much rewire everything and while im doing that im going to clean up, hopefully repaint the chassis, and do some upgrades to the power train and cosmetics. Its been running stock except for new shocks and new plastics that i picked up about 10 years ago.

Right now im looking at a FMF muffler or the yoshimura, but the yosh is about 300$ more than the FMF and that 300$ goes a long way with mods for the bike. KnN filter and a proper jet/pilot upgrade to go along with the muffler. I also need to upgrade my clutch a bit so i've been researching new clutch kits, any recommendations are appreciated. That's all i have planned at the moment but am looking into other upgrades to the engine.

I was looking into installing a brand new aftermarket carb into the system as well but don't know where to start, and if its going to mess with the other part on my engine. Last thing i need is adding power from one end and it ends up stressing out and breaking other parts. The bike is old and i don't know what shape the inside of the engine is in. If i do go new carb should i go for new pistons and upgrade new parts inside the engine as well? Im new to engine work so anything past the carb is uncharted territory and is going to take some researching to learn.

Also, i was looking into the CDI rev boxes since im rewiring pretty much the whole bike. Is it worth it for the minimal upgrades im going to be doing? When do they become worth installing? Was thinking of getting one for the raptor as well.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Welcome to the site, yes the same guys own TRX Forums.

We have lots of guys with 250x's they will get you going. I recommend the FMF over Yoshi. For and additional $300 the Yoshi is not worth it. If it was a $50 or so difference then yeah but not 300

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forums.For a 250x your most commom upgraeds are a pipe k&n filter remove airbox lid and jet it.If you wanna go internal you get either a hot cams camshaft or a web cams camshaft.They come in different sizes where aplicable.You can also get a 12:1 wiseco piston and even a +12.2 mm stroker kit from powroll atv.It all depends on what you wanna do.As for the cd don't waste the money for a 250x all you get is +1000rpm on your rev limit.For a 300ex you can get cdi's that advance timing but the 250x doesn't have that option.If your atv has never been rebuilt I'd start there.A fresh 12:1 piston in whatever overbore you need then if money is left get the other things.I would recomend a HMF pipe.Fmf is ok but hmf is better but by far the best pipe for the 300ex/250x is the curtis sparks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info.

My mechanic told me the same thing when i brought it in for a tune up. I think im going to stay away from doing anything internal for the engine aside from the clutch system. Way too much work and $$ for what im going to be using it for. The intake, exhaust and jetting is going to quicken it up just enough. Maybe in a year if i get bored i'll rebore the engine and play with it. For now i'll spend the money on replacing the many miscellaneous parts that are broken and worn down.

Think im going to go for the curtis sparks muffler, the price difference between the HMF and the CS isn't worth it for me once i get an aftermarket header pipe. And its a 1 stop shopping run from them for all the parts. Still have to find a clutch kit.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Curtis sparks also offers a clutch kit so there you go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes!

I got a call not too long ago about my quad and a problem i had with the kick start not working. Im not getting compression with the kick start but it starts fine if its jump started. So, that means i need a top end rebuild. And its gonna cost me 700$ to get it rebuilt so im gonna do it on my own, hopefully anyways. 700$ just to rip it apart and regasket, + any additionals if anythings broken and i need new pistons or anything like that.

And now i have more questions.

How bad is the actual rebuild? I have the service manual and i was looking through it. It doesn't look too bad minus some minor problems with tooling and alot of time on my end. Which i have as im in no rush to get it finished.

Also, if i do need to replace my pistons or cylinder head is it just better to rebore the engine larger? Price for an OEM cylinder head is like 400$ unless im looking in the wrong place.

And if im getting new pistons can i get any compression ratio? should i stick with a 11:1 or go 12:1? whats the difference?

OR since its my kickstart giving me problems could it be something with the kickstart and not my pistons/gaskets and wear? Or is it wear and not the kickstart?

Anyways, im still learning about engine work. Im just past the basics so i have a feeling this is gonna teach me more than i can chew.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am actually thinking of putting in a 300ex engine in there if i can find one at a good price and if it will fit with minimal work. Can't seem to find any 250x engines around. And the price to rebuild is way over any engines i've seen for sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts