Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently put new rings in my 250R and I was wondering how to I find Top Dead Center and then how do I set My cam for that? this is the first one I have done and I am Looking for some help on getting it running.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Well... on my 250X 4stroke you simply rotate the engine clockwise and look through the flywheel hole with a light . line up the "T" mark with the mark on the cover should be where the threads are. then you look on the back of the cam gear an you will see 2 tick lines on each side of the gear you line those up horizonnaly with the top of the head. that how mine is done if I left anything out someone will add to it. good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thanx for the help on that, I have got it running but there seems to be a loud ticking noise in the top end and I cant figure out what it is any thoughts on what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Either you need a valve ajustment or you got a timing chain guide worn and the chain is slapping the case. but with you removing the head I'd lay a good bet on the valves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for all of the questions, but how do I adjust the valves? when the motor is at top dead center or the bottom of the stroke or what?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yes it is a four stroke. Sorry I wrote 250R its really a 250X the other one I have been working on is a 250R.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I got a book I can scan pics if you need them but I really think it's a valve adjustment issue. you cannot adjut the valves with the bike even the slightes bit warm it has to cold! pull the valve covers and rotate your engine until it is at TDC on the compression stroke. line up the "T" like I told you before an get yourself some feeler gauges angled end ones work best.I thinkit's around .08 (8thousands) I think I haven't done mine in awhile.
By the way TOM is correct No timing or valves in a 2stroker. they are pretty straight forward rebuilds. Back to your 250X you will need to remove the plastics off the front and the tank in order to get to the two small valve covers on top of the head to do the adjustments. Just make sure you have not ran the engine any or you will get a false reading on your adjustment. let me know if you need the timing and valve section of my book and I will email them t you just pm me with your addy. good luck

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
And yes it is a four stroke. Sorry I wrote 250R its really a 250X the other one I have been working on is a 250R.
Ok, Sorry Im no the best with a 2 stroke but I have Rebuilt a model plane engine and somebody told me they were similar. I also had a 250 tecate when I was like 15 and remember a little about it but dad took care of it.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Wow a Tecate Nice that was a Kawasaki Trike wasn't it? Very very Fast. And yes most 2 strokes are the same I rebuild Stihl Cut-off saw and other small 2 strokes they are pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
No it was a tecate4 An 87 model I beleive. I have pics some where I wanted to post them but I can not find them. My Mom put them up somewhere so they would be safe and Poof their lost.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
ok cool the Tecate I remember was a Trike earlier 80's, I actually saw one at Busco Beach along with a 250R trike and a 350x trike I would love to own one of them Honda threewheelers were mean nasty and freakin fast as hell the 2 srokers were.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I have everything set, but its still making the noise. I Looked up what the part was called and it is the lifter valve, i guess? it is on the side of the motor and there is a cable running to that. If i move it a little bit you can feel it hitting the rocker arm and it is in sync with the noise that i have been hearing could this be it and is it a quick and or cheap fix?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
That's your Detent cable (Compression release) I'll send you the photo out of the book on how to adjust it.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Also it's in sync because it's hitting the same thing your rockerarms are....The cam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts