Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here and looking for advice on getting a new (used) Honda for my 14 year old son that is about 5'-6" tall and weighs about 135. He has been riding since he was very young, starting with a chinese quad in our back yard at around age 4, moving to a TRX90 at age 8 in the woods, then to a Ozark 250 when he was 11 riding on the trails in New Hampshire, and it is now time for him to move up.The Ozark seems tippy for him now and he wants to ride harder. I am an old fart that rides a Sportsman 570 in comfort and he only rides with me, but he is looking for a sport quad. The big question is whether to move to a trx250 or trx400. I am 6' tall so I expect him to continue to grow fast. All riding is done on the trails of New Hampshire.

Any advice would be very-much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought my 11 y.o. a trx 250. Maybe a little too much for him but not by much. The power is not a problem, but the stance is. I've read that the 400s are much more stable. Your son wouldn't last long on the 250 imo.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would just go ahead and get the 400ex. It will be a good size for him and will last him a long time. I am 22 and still ride a 400ex. When I was 14 I had a 300ex, but my dad had a 400ex and let me ride it sometimes. It may take him a while to get used to but he will be fine. Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stock for stock both make about the same h.p. The 400 will have a much more usable power range for not a super experienced rider. The 250 is more of a project atv these days due to the age so keep that in mind. Id go with the 400ex in the long run, unless your wanting more of a project, I've been happy with my 400ex for 8 years now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I was kind of siding with the 400 over the 250 but concerned a little with the additional power for him to play with now. However, the 400 does have a wider stance, will be more comfortable for his growing size, and from what I have read the 400 seems to do fine at slower speeds (25-30mph) while he gets used to the clutch. It seems it will have power and keep him happy over the coming years. Any additional experiences or comments will help.

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Go for the 400 so you don't have to go through this again in a year. My first quad was a 300ex and I quickly got bored of it and moved to a 400 years ago.

Rob

Reactions: XplicitRacing6

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I am definitely looking for a TRX400 at this point based on feedback you all provided. The problem is finding one in the northeast. I have found many TRX250's but very few 400's that are worth looking at.

Thanks again,
Mark in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where in mass if u look on cl u will find a ton of 400exI'm also a masshole greetings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your replies. After rifling though CL on a daily basis (sometimes almost hourly) and looking at a few quads that were 'sick' and 'mint' (I hate those terms) that turned out to be absolute crap, we finally found a 2013 TRX400X that is clean and totally stock. My son loves it and is getting used to the clutch after coming from a semi-auto Ozark 250.

Thanks again!

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nerf Guards

So now that I have a beautiful 2013 400x, I am looking for suggestions on quality nerf guards and skid plates. My son plans on riding NH trails along with boney MA powerline trails. Any input will be be very-much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
(For nerf bars)If your looking for bullet proof and price isnt an object pro-armor is your best bet. If your looking for strong enough at a great price alba. Make sure you get the ones with heel guards built in.

(For Skid Plates) again bullet proof with money no object pro-armor. And again strong enough and alot cheaper price prm, ac, or tusk.

I will say on albas behalf i have put my nerf bars through hell. And they have not bent, broken, or even scratched the powdercoat. Very high quality parts and at a very low price point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought my 11 y.o. a trx 250. Maybe a little too much for him but not by much. The power is not a problem, but the stance is. I've read that the 400s are much more stable. Your son wouldn't last long on the 250 imo.
Ive ridden a 1986 trx250 since i was like 10

1 - 15 of 15 Posts