Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the service manual for this, and I believe I am correct, but I want to verify some stuff.

I have oil leaks at both of these pieces. I have new gaskets, which are just rubber O-ring types, which is wierd because I didn't know these were prone to leaking. Anyway, someone mentioned a while back that I needed to do something with the motor in order to get the valves in the right position to take these two pieces off or it would be bad. I do not believe that is true, and there is no reference in the service manual to orienting anything inside the motor before removing the bolts and pulling those parts off. Can anyone confirm that I need not do anything more than removing bolts and pulling the top two items off the motor? The cylinder head is held in place with nuts/studs internally, so there should be no issue there. I need to replace the two gaskets and the valve adjuster o-rings...should be pretty straightforward right?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
You are right, you don't need to rotate the motor to put the camshaft lobes down on your motor before taking the cover off and head apart. That moron that told you that nonsense was me!

Sorry about that. I get mixed up on motors cause I post on too many of them to keep my head on straight. Yours has the camshaft held down by journal caps, NOT the cover... should be a walk in the park!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries, I genuinely appreciate your help. The breadth of knowledge from your assistance is immeasurably useful to my understanding of this machine. Thank you very much for the clarification!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just realized while looking at the service manual, there are two o-rings that go into the oil bosses on the cylinder cover. I want to replace those. I forgot to order them with my order because I didn't realize they were there. I hate to order two o-rings and pay 10 bucks in shipping. Is there another source of o-rings suitable for this purpose that I could order from? The parts manual shows the size, but they look like NOK o-rings and I didn't know if there was another place to get some that will spec out right for this application.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
If you have o-ring assortment boxes with a gazillion SAE & Metric sizes in them you probably got them already. I keep boxes of each on hand cause they are so useful... and cheap ($10 per box?) if you buy the big bulk assortment boxes. If you don't have any of those big assortments on hand, hardware stores usually do... and will sell o-rings individually, for much less than the OEM Honda price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts