Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the tags on this forum dont include the TRX200 can someone tell me why or has no one admitted to owning one?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Probably because they are older and there's not that many of them, I guess. I used to have one of the '84 Fourtrax 200s.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Agree^^^^ and I bet alot of the members Weren't even old enough to remember them..lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your reply...I guess I did just date myself a little. I joined to learn a little about these machines as I just recieved one for very little money and its in rough shape. I am the kind of person who hates to see useable machines go to waste so I usually spend way too much time and probably money bringing them back to running shape. Any known pit falls in the design or running gear that I should know about would be a great help. Thanks Chuck.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I don't know much about the '90s models Fourtrax 200D, but the '84 Fourtrax 200 was a pretty solid design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 85 TRX200 without a manual or a clue except what my mechanical mind can decipher. I have worked as a mechanic in some form since 1985 so I'm not completely lost but some of the particulars are a mistery such as what oil type and weight, whats the plug number and gap, the tire pressure, best places to find parts,ect. I also see a lot online about a fourtrax list with the TRX200 are they compatable and will parts from one fit the other? As you can see I have a bunch of questions and if you will endulge me I will pick your brains for answers as I learn more about these and other machines. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
GN4- 10w40 Honda oil or any oil compatible for wet clutches, the plug number DR7ES or DR8ES pre gapped. Tire pressure is about 7 or 8 psi Are you sure it's a 200? I don't see an 85 fourtrax 200 on bike bandit but I do see an 84'
www.bikebandit.com, www.rockymountainatv.com. are a couple good places to start looking.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Does yours have high and low range? Does it have a little lever on the left side of the engine where you can choose high/low/reverse?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bad Helmut, it is an '84 200 not an '85, I had to go back to the frame and check the tag. I picked up some Valvoline motorcycle 10w-40, it says its for wet clutches, do you think that will do? Thanks for the parts links. It's nice to know there are other suppliers out there. A machine this old makes parts kind of sketchy unless you want to spend a fortune.

Thanks ostrx250 for the greeting.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, Valvoline Motorcycle oil should be OK. As long as it says it's OK for wet clutches, it will be OK.

Here's a link to an owner's manual that will answer a lot of your questions. It will download faster if you right click on the link and click on "Save link As" and save it to your computer.

http://campaigns.hondampe.com.au/Motorcycles/manuals/atv/own84trx20001.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings All:
Although this thread is somewhat dated it's one of the few I've found that seems to directly address the TRX200 so I'll go ahead and post here unless someone can / will re-direct me to where I should be posting questions.
Background Story:
We have acquired a 84 TRX 200 (basket case, sort of) as a fixer-up'er for the grand-kid's to ride with us ( have a TRX 200 SX(86 or 87 I think) the wife rides and I have a 06 Rancher).

The 84 has the following problems which are of immediate concern and I need advise on Please.
1. I cannot get more than 2 positions on the shifter (neither of which seem to be neutral).
2. Something in the drive train seems to be locking up ( the bike will push backward but when trying to push forward both rear wheels lock and will not free wheel) most likely related to #1 above.
3. I cannot seem to find an electrical path to the switches (have not dug deeper than to put a power supply to the battery connections and check for good fuse ) , no head light (lamp is good with direct connection) .

Please keep in mind that I am not much of a mechanic ( electrician by trade).
I have D/L'ed the manual thanks to this site and will attempt to work my way through it as time and money allow (up to a point).

Any advice on the above will be greatly appreciated !.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i cant help you much, but yes your freewheeling problem is because its in a forward gear. when in reverse, its the same ie in reverse, it wont roll backwards, forward gears, wont roll forward as you know. when trying to shift it, try rolling it back and forth, that might help some.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yeah, my '85 TRX125 doesn't make the forum tags either. I can still find tons of parts for it on ebay but all I've needed so far was a $16 carb rebuild kit. Just saw an ad for another '85 TRX125 1 1/2 hours away from me, looks nice but I keep saying I don't need it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 84 TRX 200 i gave the shop man to Helmut he posted it in the schematics sections i have none of those probs so i cant tell you what it is

·
Registered
99 Posts
but i can say they are easy to work on for the most part if you take the plastics off ;-)

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Greetings All:
Although this thread is somewhat dated it's one of the few I've found that seems to directly address the TRX200 so I'll go ahead and post here unless someone can / will re-direct me to where I should be posting questions.
Background Story:
We have acquired a 84 TRX 200 (basket case, sort of) as a fixer-up'er for the grand-kid's to ride with us ( have a TRX 200 SX(86 or 87 I think) the wife rides and I have a 06 Rancher).

The 84 has the following problems which are of immediate concern and I need advise on Please.
1. I cannot get more than 2 positions on the shifter (neither of which seem to be neutral).
2. Something in the drive train seems to be locking up ( the bike will push backward but when trying to push forward both rear wheels lock and will not free wheel) most likely related to #1 above.
3. I cannot seem to find an electrical path to the switches (have not dug deeper than to put a power supply to the battery connections and check for good fuse ) , no head light (lamp is good with direct connection) .

Please keep in mind that I am not much of a mechanic ( electrician by trade).
I have D/L'ed the manual thanks to this site and will attempt to work my way through it as time and money allow (up to a point).

Any advice on the above will be greatly appreciated !.
Welcome to the forums.

My answers, below, are numbered to correspond with your questions, above.

1. Have you tried rocking the ATV back and forth when trying to shift gears? Sometimes, when the ATV isn't running and you're sitting still, you have to rock the ATV back and forth to get the gears to engage. If that's not the problem, I would pull the right crankcase cover and try to shift gears by manually turning the shift drum. If the gears won't shift by manually turning the shift drum, you have a problem inside the transmission and the crankcase will have to be split to find the problem.

2. Like stated above, when the ATV is in gear, you won't be able to push it forward without the rear wheels locking up. This is due to the engine compression. However, it should push backwards easily, unless it's in reverse.

3. Power wire (red) runs from the battery through an inline fuse straight to the key switch. When the key is on, power exits the key switch on the yellow/red wire which then powers the indicator lights and then on to the handlebar switch through the yellow wire. The service manual has a wiring diagram in the back that will help you pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks "HelMut" and others.
I have tried doing the "Rock-N-Roll" thing, have to do that with our 86-200 every once in a while.
This engine has a compression release so back pressure is not an issue .
I don't think I'm going to get too carried away with this (maybe), don't have a whole lot in it so if I can not get it to shift / Run it may become a parts source for the 86 (if any of it will interchange), or I may just sell it who knows.
I just thought since I have it I'll give it a go at getting the thing runnable.
Thanks Again All, if I can get it to shift and run I'll most likely have many more questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one of the TRX-200 fourtrax , still running strong after a rear end rebuild.
Information on this model IS hard to find though even on this forum.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I got one. I love it, It was abused in a former life though. I don't ride it hard, only around on the farm. At the moment I'm doing an engine rebuild, one loose bolt and the whole motor falls apart.:icon_ cry::dry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts