Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Four members this last month posted questions about their engines and frame VINs. First one 90 TRX300 we proved numbers matching; second was a TRX250 in a TRX300 frame; third was a TaoTao 250 and this latest one — stay tuned! So here’s a start to gathering up info we can use to help validate parts compatibility.

First, the service manual will show you where to find the frame VIN. If you know the VIN the service manual usually lists vital specs for the model, esp carb settings. No need to post the last 6 numbers.

Second. The service manual will also show where the engine serial number is stamped. Honda usually stamps on the rider’s right side upper of the center case, just behind the cylinder mount. Again no need to post the last 6 numbers.

Lastly there is a master listing of Honda engines you can use to help identify another Honda engine that may have been transplanted into a Frankenwheeler.
https://www.hondashop.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Honda-Motorcycle-Model-ID-Chart.pdf

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,087 Posts
Sticky candidate? What do you think folks?
thread is stuck !. butttttttttt..I really don't think owners/members will take the time to research this info, least not from what i've seen lately ?!..lol.

·
Super Moderator
37,087 Posts
Four members this last month posted questions about their engines and frame VINs. First one 90 TRX300 we proved numbers matching; second was a TRX250 in a TRX300 frame; third was a TaoTao 250 and this latest one — stay tuned! So here’s a start to gathering up info we can use to help validate parts compatibility.

First, the service manual will show you where to find the frame VIN. If you know the VIN the service manual usually lists vital specs for the model, esp carb settings. No need to post the last 6 numbers.

Second. The service manual will also show where the engine serial number is stamped. Honda usually stamps on the rider’s right side upper of the center case, just behind the cylinder mount. Again no need to post the last 6 numbers.

Lastly there is a master listing of Honda engines you can use to help identify another Honda engine that may have been transplanted into a Frankenwheeler.
https://www.hondashop.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Honda-Motorcycle-Model-ID-Chart.pdf
just looked that list over, it does not show 1986 or 1989 trx350 at all ???. I guess they forgot about them ???..lol. and was I suppose to be able click on your pics ?, site wont let me ??.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I checked mine today. Engine is a '96 according to the link. Frame is also a 96. Is there any way to tell if the engine is original to the frame?

The owner wrote the numbers in the owners manual and I assume it was done when it was new, but that could have been done at any point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts