Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im looking at two 2007,s......im not sure what one......i guess my ? is..... how is the 450 in the woods?? i know the 400 rocks.....but how is the 450??? i do all sorts of riding but mostly trails.... is the 450 just really for the track....... thanks

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
No its not just for the track but it is a little harder to ride in the woods just cause you can't lug it as much as a 400 and you don't have any reverse on the 450 but don't get me wrong the 450 is a beast that is my quad of choice but all i do with mine is Mx when i trail ride i get the Grizzly 700 out.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
If you are doing real tight trails I would go with the 400. Like 69 said, the 450 cannot be lugged down like the 400. The 450 works just fine in the trails but clutch work is a must. You almost have to ride it like a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'd get the 400ex.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are doing real tight trails I would go with the 400. Like 69 said, the 450 cannot be lugged down like the 400. The 450 works just fine in the trails but clutch work is a must. You almost have to ride it like a 2 stroke.
so in the woods its like a 2 stroke.......ok in 2000 i had a banshee .....no low end power......not very trail friendly or friendly at alot of other things hehehe.....how bout changing sprockets to help out in the trails??? sorry bout all the ?s this is going to be my first HONDA owned and since i cant test ride the 450 its making me crazy......im 195 lbs and i just dont want to get the ex and say man i should have gotten the 450.....but i guess with a pipe and jet kit the 400 would be good......ohhhh close your ears... the only bike ive ever owned with rev was a raptor 660.....so no biggie on rev...

also wanted to say thanks for all your reposts.......

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I guess you could change the sprockets for more power less speed.It might help some.But it's still a performance motor and it needs to be riden not bogged.

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
When you are on the trails do you ride like the Devil was chasing you or just a cruse in the woods and open it up every once in a while? The 450 would be good for getting away from the Devil and the 400 is a great all around trail bike, it lugs down for tight corners, creek crossing, ect and has enough torque to get you going in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Yes, changing the front sprocket helps a lot. Don't get me wrong, I ride a 450 in the Colorado Rockies. It just takes some clutch work some times. If you have exp. on a Banshee and trails you will love the TRX450. It has more bottom end grunt than the Banshee. I would go for the 450, you will be able to ride trails just fine and if you want to you can still hit 75mph in the open areas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tried a front sprocket from a "R" dirt bike, 1 tooth smaller I think, and it geared down too much. Maybe going up on the rear would have been better. I just learned to like the 450 in the woods. The 450 is lighter and more nimble, a trade you have to accept for the lack of low end power. If you get one with kick start, it will be a PITA when you stall-out off camber.

Don't ever hook up with your utility bike brothers for a trail ride, you will be pulling out your hair 2 turns down the trail. Their 3rd gear cruising is somewhere in between 1st and 2nd for the 450R.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I tried a front sprocket from a "R" dirt bike, 1 tooth smaller I think, and it geared down too much. Maybe going up on the rear would have been better. I just learned to like the 450 in the woods. The 450 is lighter and more nimble, a trade you have to accept for the lack of low end power. If you get one with kick start, it will be a PITA when you stall-out off camber.

Don't ever hook up with your utility bike brothers for a trail ride, you will be pulling out your hair 2 turns down the trail. Their 3rd gear cruising is somewhere in between 1st and 2nd for the 450R.
You have a 38 on the rear get a 39 and that will help a lot going to loose some top end but will have good bottom and keep the 13 on the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts