Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,371 Posts
Really you can supposedly split it without removing the flywheel? I've never seen that and I have split a lot of atv cases. I have 3 split motors on my bench right now. I usually just take everything off. If you are having to pry or beat on it you are most likely missing something. That star is screwed into the end of the drum so I would think it would have to come off. Usually the crank has to be pressed out from one side or the other also.

Rob

· Premium Member
4,390 Posts
Nope on the 400ex you can leave the flywheel on and if you remove that bolt with the star shaped piece the shift drum will fall out and you will play hell getting it back in. The crank would only need pressed out of the bearing on the flywheel side if you had to change the crank. And usually its not much force needed. 400ex is super easy to split cases on.

· Registered
28 Posts
You can split the cases without removing the flywheel. In fact it's better to leave it on if you don't need to take it off. The bolt on the star for the shift shaft will need to be taken off along with the star. Then there are 2 bolts underneath the case on the opposite side of all the other bolts that need to be undone. Then you should be able to split the cases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.