Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Rancher 4x4. Not totally sure what year model i have here, but not really relevant anyways. I assume...?
Previous owner remarked he had recently put rings in it. Fair enough, atv does'nt smoke, lotta power, 75% runs like its fresh off the assembly line.
At initial startup: cranks and runs great. little rough, but fine. At idle, after no set period of time, atv will suddenly die( no sputter, no fight, just dead. immediately following, you are able to hear a spinning motion inside the casing that resembles a flywheel or something spinning quickly, and eventually comes to stop. average time to end: about 10 seconds.
cranks and idles perfect after all is over, no obvious prob or stress . until cycle basically repeats itself time and time again. ????

Also....
trans shifts are hard and quick. neutral-> 1st gear, atv lunges forward and up about 2'' . Furthermore, after 30-60 mins of ridin, each gear slips at begining of each upshift. (bout 1-2 seconds worth). Very similar behavior as the 3000 stall converted in my pickup.

atv shifts fine mechanically, actual motion isnt an issue. all forward gears including reverse function as they should. but something aint jive'n. understand?

Really stoked about what yall have to say on this.
Ready to jump in solution as soon as it shows its sneaky lil snot nose.:mad:
( thanks to all. and i owe u ):wink:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

At initial startup: cranks and runs great. little rough, but fine. At idle, after no set period of time, atv will suddenly die( no sputter, no fight, just dead. immediately following, you are able to hear a spinning motion inside the casing that resembles a flywheel or something spinning quickly, and eventually comes to stop. average time to end: about 10 seconds.
I would try cleaning the carb and see if that helps. As for the spinning noise you are hearing when it quits, your one-way clutch bearing is bad. You probably won't have any engine braking when coasting or going downhill.

Also....
trans shifts are hard and quick. neutral-> 1st gear, atv lunges forward and up about 2'' . Furthermore, after 30-60 mins of ridin, each gear slips at begining of each upshift. (bout 1-2 seconds worth). Very similar behavior as the 3000 stall converted in my pickup.
Try adjusting the clutch free-play. It is located on the front of the engine. It is an adjusting screw with a locknut. Loosen the locknut, turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise slowly until you feel resistance. Then, turn the adjusting screw back 1/4 turn. Now, hold the adjusting screw while you tighten down the locknut, so the adjusting screw doesn't turn. Make sure the oil is clean and you are using the correct oil. If you use automotive oil that isn't designed for wet clutches, it will cause your clutches to start slipping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome! thanks fellas . will do this afternoon . also, local atv shop here in t-town is 100% mark-up. need to go over the whole atv and prob buy some parts. who should you recomend for online parts good quality thanks again

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Bikebandit.com and ebay are pretty good on prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts