Honda ATV Forum banner

TRX 350 ES Final Drive problem-No power to rear wheels

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
2006 TRX 350 ES not getting power to the rear wheels. I have disasembled and inspected the rear drive, axle, and nothing appears broken . Splines are worn on axle and inner splines on ring gear appear worn as well as the bearing tha supports the ring gear, lots of wobble. I have a new axle but I'm not sure if that alone will solve the problem or if I need a new Ring gear as well. The universal and driveshaft look good and turn when, Pinion gear has a chipped gear tooth-should be replaced. Not sure what to do, any help appreciated, Thanks,

#2 ·
welcome to the forums. jack the rear end up, put the motor in gear, try turning the rear wheels, if they move ?, then your ring gear splines are bad, as well as your axle splines, and hub splines, one ?..or all of these will stop power from getting to the rear end, and ground :).

#4 ·
Thank you, I believe the ring gear splines and axle splines are the problem, 10 years old and just worn out. almost no splines in the ring gear and axle splines
very worn out as well. I'm replacing the complete rear diff with a new unit and a new axle. It was actually cheaper than buying the complete differential versus buying the individual parts. I sure appreciate the help!

#5 ·
your welcome :). I had to replace the ring gear, and pinion gear, all bearings, all seals, and one right rear brake side hub, on this '05 trx500fm project I am restoring, the PO had a lift kit on it, aggressive tires, they pretty much ruined the drive line for the rear end..lol. ring gear and pinion gear alone was over 200 bucks.

#6 ·
I ruined a new seal yesterday trying to install without a press. It looks like I'll need to find a press to change the axle bearing on the Brake pad end of the d/s. and seals. I just priced some hydraulic presses and whoa, sticker shock. I didn't realize how much they can cost. May have to invest in seal install kit and check out some how too videos.

#7 ·
Watch Craigslist and local papers- it isn't too hard to find shop presses for reasonable prices. I found a profession, air over hydraulic press, plus a 16 ton tubing bender- both practically new- for $400. Some of the best money I've spent.

#8 ·
I just bought a harbor freight 20 ton shop press, walked out the door with it for 149 bucks !!, best money I ever spent lately...lol.

#10 ·
very good price, I've used it a few times, not sure how I got by all these years without one ??!!. very good for the cash, even if it is a harbor freight ?, it still works very well !, love it !.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.