Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I recently bought a Honda TRX 300 which the previous owner had no idea what year it was and also thought it was a 350 so I am trying to figure out what year it is. I know its a 300 as it has 281cc stamped on the engine but I can't find any frame number on it. The frame was cleaned up and painted about 5 years a go so can't see any numbers on it but from what I have read it should be stamped in to the frame so I am hoping I can clean it up enough to find it. I have a service manual but it I can't see the section that it seems to show the vin number being on. I will add some pictures and see if anyone can tell me what bit of at the front of the frame I need to be focusing on. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
It's staring you in the face lol.

See where the top A arms are bolted to the front of the frame? It's on that flat plate just there

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Do you mean this bit I have highlighted on the attached image?
Yes indeed. It will be on top of that plate, so the number is facing up rather than forwards.
There's a sticky (thread) on here that tells you what all the numbers & letters mean and which one will indicate the year of your ATV.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Here you go

Attachments

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
10th digit is year

Reactions: SamUK

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
close but that's not where the vin is on the 88-92 frames. the vin's are down lower on the bottom where the bottom bolts to the front bumper are located.

3 inches lower from where the red circle is.

that is somewhere between a 88-92 fourtrax 300.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
close but that's not where the vin is on the 88-92 frames. the vin's are down lower on the bottom where the bottom bolts to the front bumper are located.

Now that's odd, in the UK they're all on the top plate, or at least everyone I've ever seen are.

Where's does this one live, be interesting to see where the vin is.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts

Now that's odd, in the UK they're all on the top plate, or at least everyone I've ever seen are.

Where's does this one live, be interesting to see where the vin is.
agreed, vin numbers are always stamped on the top of the horizontal plate, never on the vertical side, least not around these parts from what I've worked on ?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Scotland so as far as I know this is a uk model. I was told by someone else it is a 93-00 model because of the front suspension but maybe thats wrong. I will get scrubbing tonight and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
What's the serial number on the engine? I think I have a list somewhere that I can get the year of the engine from at least. It's a 88-92 I'm 100% sure of that, the 93-00 frame is different on the front end. whoever told you it had to be a 93-00 because of the front suspension must have been thinking of the 2wd models. 88-92 2wd had front struts, 93-00 has double a-arm but that doesn't apply here since it's a 4wd machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
What's the serial number on the engine? I think I have a list somewhere that I can get the year of the engine from at least. It's a 88-92 I'm 100% sure of that, the 93-00 frame is different on the front end. whoever told you it had to be a 93-00 because of the front suspension must have been thinking of the 2wd models. 88-92 2wd had front struts, 93-00 has double a-arm but that doesn't apply here since it's a 4wd machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought it looked like an early model from the frame, but would like to see more of the front to be sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can find no evidence of the frame number at the two places mentioned. Have been at it with an angle grinder with wire brush attachment but it looks pretty pitted underneath the paint and is showing me no signs of numbers. I have the engine serial number now which looks like TE15E-8105089. A couple pictures of the exhaust with plastics off. It looks like it has had a heatshield on the front section as there are 3 sheared bolts on the exhaust.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Scott, try putting something on the areas mentioned to highlight any possible signs of a number, WD40, engine oil.. sometimes black spray paint will show something, spray on and wipe with a cloth or your finger. I bought a high mag magnifying glass, that helped A LOT to find the number on my TRX250. Also, take photos and enlarge them on photoshop.
Other than those options there's no other way of knowing that number I'm afraid.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
+1 the steel looks really worn, so you may not be able to see the numbers.

or another possibility. it was stolen at some point and someone welded in a new section so there was no evidence of the stolen vin. (I have seen this once)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts