Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was pulling a trailer that weighed about 1400 pounds on my 97 trx 300 fw around my yard. The ATV was struggling on any kind of hill. I later read in the owners manual that the weight limit for towing is 850 pounds. Could I have done any damage? I'm guessing that could be bad for the clutch. Although when I took off the trailer I didn't feel any difference in the way it started moving than usual.

Has anyone here towing much more than 850 pounds with a 300?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
probably ok if not done regularly and for extended period of time.If it stills runs ok and not slipping then it is probably ok I just wouldn't try it again......lol

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, I agree with falconblack, if the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, it's probably OK.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would say you will be ok. We had a 95 300 and we pulled a 8ft trailer with it on a daily basis will any where from 800 to 1000 pounds of feed on it or 2 4x4 round bales of hay and weve had 40 square bales of hay on it several different times. Those things are tanks I dont think you hurt it any....

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, I've also pulled some heavy loads in the past with the Fourtrax 300.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
i agree..your probally ok..just don't do it again !..lol. there is a right way and wrong way to tow a trailer..the wrong way..is putting to much tounge weight on the ball hitch !!..the right way..is either not over load the ball hitch..orrrrrrr..put all your weight on the trailer axles...this keeps the weight off the atv. most trx300's...or even any atv for that matter...does not want you to over load the tow ball hitch..this is tounge weight...it clearly shows you how much on the hitch..that is..unless your sticker is gone !..lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the 300's have a 30lb tongue weight limit, and 850lb gross trailer weight limit. i generally ignore the 30lb number. i wont go crazy, but a hundred pounds isnt gonna hurt it. or at least, it hasnt hurt it yet. unless your towing on dead flat ground, your not gonna tow much unless you have some decent tongue weight helping out those rear tires.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
wanted to revive a long gone thread to hopefully get more opinions....my old 1993 300 2x4 is seeing a lot of extra yard duty this spring...with all the rain , the jungle is growing like crazy.. I've ben brush cutting sapplings, lopping tree limbs etc... i have a 5x10 single axle landscape trailer that is used to haul the quad, or the golf cart etc...but it's just been so handy to hang it off the back of the fourtrax and pull it around the yard to load up the cut limbs and haul back to the burn pile.

the honda seems good pulling it around..you can tell there's weight back there...and the most I might ask it to do at one time is a couple trips of about 300-400 yards distance back to the burn pile.

my trailer is weighing in at 780lbs with that fold down ramp..not leaving a lot of actual carrying cargo weight...I try to watch it...tongue weight isn't horrible...I can pick up the tonge and mount it on the quad with the load on it..but I know it's more than 30lbs...easily double.. I'm probably asking for trouble, shortening the machine's life but it's the too I have to work with...thoughts appreciated... thanks.. Big hand Ed

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about doing heavy work with one of my Hondas. If I can lift the tongue on the trailer without hurting myself, the Honda can handle it.

If I have to use a trailer jack then it gets hooked up to a Jeep instead of a 4wheeler.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
the weight of what your towing, has more to do with can you control it when your going,
I have towed several thousand lbs with mine, but get a few hundred lbs on a steeper down hill and you can get in trouble real fast
these are all TOOLS< and yes they can do a lot more than there rated for, IF things are good for this to happens
common sense will get you far in life, DON"T have any and ell, life can get expensive and painful real fast LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wondered why they make hitches for my 400EX for a while. I have a little 3’x5’ trailer that’s only rated for like 500lbs that normal got towed behind a lawn mower but now I’m wondering if I can jump with that hooked up? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
the weight of what your towing, has more to do with can you control it when your going,
I have towed several thousand lbs with mine, but get a few hundred lbs on a steeper down hill and you can get in trouble real fast
these are all TOOLS< and yes they can do a lot more than there rated for, IF things are good for this to happens
common sense will get you far in life, DON"T have any and ell, life can get expensive and painful real fast LOL
point taken, and thanks, ...there are no hills on my property of any consequence..the bike, in low gear, has been able to control the trailer going down the slight grade of my driveway without even needing to apply braking..and when I do, it stops just fine..so yeah, it's a safe working tool for what I'm asking it to do...I'll continue to watch tongue weight and run more/smaller loads...I'm probably risking more when I ask it to pull a stump or tree trunk that I've cut out of my trails.. I just keep pulling this small/old bike out to do work..thinking that it's old, cheap, so not as worried about breaking it..and yet..the more I (and some of my kids) have returned to riding it..the more love it seems to bring...yes, the big water cooled, electic autotrans ATVS are nice...there are 2 here..neither any longer actually belong to me...they are now officially my kids machines.....but the old 300...yeah...that's stll Pop's bike..keeping them off of it seems to be the challenge...they've found the old magic..and I need less mud and more yard work on that bike

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
point taken, and thanks, ...there are no hills on my property of any consequence..the bike, in low gear, has been able to control the trailer going down the slight grade of my driveway without even needing to apply braking..and when I do, it stops just fine..so yeah, it's a safe working tool for what I'm asking it to do...I'll continue to watch tongue weight and run more/smaller loads...I'm probably risking more when I ask it to pull a stump or tree trunk that I've cut out of my trails.. I just keep pulling this small/old bike out to do work..thinking that it's old, cheap, so not as worried about breaking it..and yet..the more I (and some of my kids) have returned to riding it..the more love it seems to bring...yes, the big water cooled, electic autotrans ATVS are nice...there are 2 here..neither any longer actually belong to me...they are now officially my kids machines.....but the old 300...yeah...that's stll Pop's bike..keeping them off of it seems to be the challenge...they've found the old magic..and I need less mud and more yard work on that bike
this is kinda why the old atv are loved by so many and getting harder and harder to find in decent NOT abused condition
and I again will say, IF HONDA< ever came back out with these models they would sell like crazy
the new things just don't take the abuse or last as long IMO
softer rides YUP< more gadgets YUP
but they do NOT have the reliability of the old one's or the over build to them as the old one's had, which is what made them last !

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
@mrbb
I'll keep hoping and dreaming that they come back though! Till then I'll keep riding my 300 :) After snowmobiling all winter (when it wasn't broke), I had the biggest grin jumping back on my 300 and having her start right up. Such a great feeling

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Canada eh? (grin)

down here in the South we never put our bikes up...might be a couple days in the teens and the occassional 3 snowflakes of panic but this ol boy was out riding Christmas weekend. I did have to travel for work up to the lil town of Bracebridge one time (about an hour north of the Toronto airport) in February...holy crap ya'll make it cold up there !!! lake iced over..folks parked their cars and just took the snowmobiles into the office...cut across the lake for a much faster commute.

I honestly don't know what to expect from a 26 year old Honda 300 but I'm 62 yrs old so my hope is, with just a bit of maintenance, that this will be my last ATV . I'm happy with it and I remind myself of that evertime I glance at shiney new stuff..and brother there's some purty rigs out there... but this 1993 bike sees saddle time at least 4 days a week on my property..combination of utility and enjoying a quick trail ride...if I can keep the younguns off of it, I expect it'll last me to my endof days.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
well...may have spoken too soon.

bad 'popping' noises coming from rear of bike last night..just light trail riding, changing out trail camera cards..but day before I drug 4 small trees and 2 5x10 trailer loads (not heavey) of sapplings back to the burn pile.

could be something broken on the brake..more likely in the Diff...anyway...long time coming on this bike for it to have professional eyes on it..so I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and ask them to basically burn my wallet alive and just do whatever the bike needs done to it..yes, at shop rates, it'll likely bring my costs up to more than the bike is worth..although I still see them listing locally , clean, for up to $3k !...rougher looking bikes than mine going for over $2k...so putting some money into my long-ago paid for beloved blue beast is ok...I'll feel better knowing a good pro has had the chance to look for any issues that might stop my fun this summer...

I think I will tell my one soninlaw that the big mud pit is off limits with this old bike in the future.. I need it to last me my final few years here for my fun and utility work...he can mud on the newer/larger bikes (and he can pay the repair bills on those.. LOL)
but ol Blue is my personal machine...shop is 2 weeks backed up, then the repair time.. so I'll update the forum once I know more..but not knowing the previous life of this bike from a maintenance standpoint.. I'm good to have some freshen-up work done on a 26yr old machine.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
hopes are higher after dropping the bike off at the shop this morning...good, honest, owner...did a quick test drive and he tends to agree with me and to think we're just looking at brakes ..says the rear end isn't making the kind of noises it would if it were in trouble, but he definitely noticed the brakes...and I had planned to totally redo the entire brake system anyway...so I'm truly hoping that's it...not just about the money..but unless i'm wrong, I can't get OEM rear end parts of my old fourtrax..it'd be chinese stuff?

he was impressed with the condition of my bike..in fact he pulled it up next to a slightly younger fourtrax 300 4x4 and was pointing out to me how ragged out that one was and how clean mine was...unlike other rigs that come in..not worth fixing...he said mine was defintely good to see.

it'll be a long couple weeks before he gets to mine but I've got several weekends booked with other things so hopefully the time will pass quickly..and I am looking forward to getting my bike back !!

ya'll might laugh, but for a guy that literally almost every day is on that quad...doing work on the property, or just a quick hop out on the trails... I miss it already...the 500 Coleman will head back to my garage..my soninlaw has it right now...but after loading the 300 on the trailer last night for delivery early this morning... I had to take a few minutes and hop on my old 79 Trail 90 and go ride just for some consolation (grin)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
rear end (of my bike - grin) is good...backing plate on the rear drum was the noise...anyway..new brakes all around, front wheel bearings, cables, fluids..all the basics that a machine celebrating a qtr century deserves ...course it bout doubles the original used purchase price..so now I'll have a $2500 fourtax....but for the enjoyment and love of these old rigs...yeah..no problem having the work done...if I had the time, I'd likely just get into it myself, but I wanted a pro to get hands/eyes on it in case there would be things needed that i might miss, and over the next couple weeks I'm spending more time on airplanes than I care too...so best to have my Road Warrior reward be a working Honda when I return home, than a garage with parts laying all of the floor waiting for me to get around to it....and I'm happy to be supporting a local shop that seems to care about, and be passionate about, their work.
did have some family over this weekend for Mom's day..one of the kids asked about "Blue" and i told them that she was at the doctor...ie in the shop...he immediately asked if he had damaged it, as he is the major mud slinger in my bunch.. I told him it was all fine..but that the advice from the shop was to enjoy my old bike for trails and being able to slog through a mud patch if needed, but the days of spending an hour out there churning up a mud pit were at an end for my "vintage" machine.

anyway...the 300 should be ready to roll by the time I get back from my Boston trip next week..and sure looking forward to the freshen-up feel.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
old Blue is back home!! long over due for brakes all around, and front wheel bearings...running great !!

i do need to adjust the reverse button/left hand lever..and not sure how to do that...but it's really hard to get it into reverse now after they replaced it..... I know...take it back...but I'm searching youtube etc..if anyone has a vid that helps me understand the proper way to adjust...please advise...

thanks!

Ed

oh and a shout out to Chuck, onwer of Prvateer down in the Rock Hill SC area...I'll be going back to spend more $ with him...good guy...good shop all around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
_Wilson_
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing