Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise if poss please!!

Have a trx 300 1989, when I select reverse sometimes as I give it some throttle and then release the throttle the revs stay increased and its difficult to knock back up into neutral why would it increase the revs without my thumb?

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Are you saying after you push the thumb throttle and release the thumb throttle, it's not returning to idle? If that's what you're saying, it sounds like the throttle is sticking. Check your throttle cable and make sure it's routed properly and not binding. If it's routed properly, it might be trying to seize up. I would take the cable loose from the carb linkage and make sure the cable is moving freely inside the cable housing. Also, while the cable is off, turn the carb throttle linkage, by hand, and see if it moves freely and is returning to idle position freely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Helmut, yeah I am saying that but only happens when reverse is selected, would it still be the cable?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Hi Helmut, yeah I am saying that but only happens when reverse is selected, would it still be the cable?
Only when in reverse? That's a tough one. Make sure your reverse lock out cable isn't crossing over your throttle cable. One cable may be moving and putting pressure on the other cable, causing it to bind. If that's not the problem, then I have no clue.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Where you at Shadetree? Have you got any ideals on this one?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
lmfao..dang it helmut..i leave you alone for 5 min's..and you get lost !!..lmfaoo..i've never seen or ran into anything like he's saying helmut..in all my 12 years..i've never had that problem..the reverse cable is in no way even remotely connected to the throttle cable on this year and make...if it's reving high..it's gonna be in the throttle cable period...he needs to do what you said..inspect the throttle cable for any binding. i would start with that..trace the throttle cable from the handle bar to the carb..with the cable undone from the carb..work the thump lever..see if it moves freely..if not..it needs to be oiled..greased..what ever works...the reverse cable has nothing to do with the throttle cable at all.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
lmfao..dang it helmut..i leave you alone for 5 min's..and you get lost !!..lmfaoo..i've never seen or ran into anything like he's saying helmut..in all my 12 years..i've never had that problem..the reverse cable is in no way even remotely connected to the throttle cable on this year and make...if it's reving high..it's gonna be in the throttle cable period...he needs to do what you said..inspect the throttle cable for any binding. i would start with that..trace the throttle cable from the handle bar to the carb..with the cable undone from the carb..work the thump lever..see if it moves freely..if not..it needs to be oiled..greased..what ever works...the reverse cable has nothing to do with the throttle cable at all.
Yeah, I know the reverse cable doesn't have anything to do with the throttle cable, but I thought the reverse cable might be stretched over the top of the throttle cable and when he pushes the red button and pulls the lever back, the whole cable might be moving a little and pulling on the throttle cable. The throttle cables adjust down there somewhere near the carb and it might be coming apart. If the outer cable housing was coming apart that would pull the inner cable and make the engine rev up. You know how they do when the throttle cable is routed the wrong way and is stretched tight and you turn the handlebars deep and the throttle revs up and sticks. I'm sure you've seen them do that before.

That's probably not even the problem, but that's the only other thing I know of to check.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Yeah, I know the reverse cable doesn't have anything to do with the throttle cable, but I thought the reverse cable might be stretched over the top of the throttle cable and when he pushes the red button and pulls the lever back, the whole cable might be moving a little and pulling on the throttle cable. The throttle cables adjust down there somewhere near the carb and it might be coming apart. If the outer cable housing was coming apart that would pull the inner cable and make the engine rev up. You know how they do when the throttle cable is routed the wrong way and is stretched tight and you turn the handlebars deep and the throttle revs up and sticks. I'm sure you've seen them do that before.

That's probably not even the problem, but that's the only other thing I know of to check.
yep..you are correct on that..but..i'm putting my money on the throttle cable.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

yep..you are correct on that..but..i'm putting my money on the throttle cable.
Throttle cable is what I would think, too, but he pointed out that it only does it in reverse. I just don't know what else it could be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts