Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2014 TRX420FM1 4X4 that I use primarily for ice fishing. I've always had trouble getting it to start when its been sitting outside for awhile in temperatures below 0°F. I am OK on cold days if I just start it up once and awhile and let it run every couple hours when its really cold out, but last year I was on a trip where it sat outside overnight with temperatures around -10°F and it wouldn't start in the morning. I tried hooking a portable power pack up to it, and it was cranking good but just would not turn over. I finally got it started after putting a cover over it with a Little Buddy heater running (took about 25-30 minutes). After that it started fine the rest of the day. Most others were able to get their machines going with just the power pack.

Here are a few things I have done so far to try to fix the issue:

- I always use premium gasoline with STA-BIL 360.
- Replaced the factory battery with a Duracell with good cold cranking amps
- AMSOIL 0W-40 for motor oil

Anyone have any thoughts on other things I could look in to? I did just replace the spark plug for the first time this year. Wondering if that could have been the issue?

Thanks - Rob

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
how old is the spark plug?
have you thought about adding a plug in battery heater to help get cold cranking amp's up higher?
they also sell and make some glue on oil pan heaters too that you can plug in and get oil warmer so things fire up easier!

and I think I would skip the premium fuel,and stabil, and drain your tank and start using NON Ethanol fuel ONLY
if you get too much stabil in things, it makes for poor fuel quality and poor starting.even running issue's!
your atv isn't designed to NEED high octane fuel, like premium has!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how old is the spark plug?
have you thought about adding a plug in battery heater to help get cold cranking amp's up higher?
they also sell and make some glue on oil pan heaters too that you can plug in and get oil warmer so things fire up easier!

and I think I would skip the premium fuel,and stabil, and drain your tank and start using NON Ethanol fuel ONLY
if you get too much stabil in things, it makes for poor fuel quality and poor starting.even running issue's!
your atv isn't designed to NEED high octane fuel, like premium has!
[/QUOTE

This is first time changing the plug (bought new in 2014) so really hoping it’s as simple as that. I had an ice auger that ran shitty when really cold and putting a new plug in solved the issue. I’ll look in to using non ethanol fuel. Thanks for the tip. I’ll also make sure to report back after this winter with update on how she did.

Rob

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I would also recommend running tank almost out and starting with ALL new fuel, as over time if this atv sits often and or exposed to a lot of temp swings, condensation can build up in tank, and just keep diluting the fuel grade, stabil can such can help, but its not perfect, and there are much better things for removing water from fuel

so, if you have lots of condensation/water in tank, it will cause starting issues in colder temps,
so ist best to get all that OLD fuel out as possible and start with NEW GOOD NON ethanol fuel
and when parking atv, KEEP the tank filled to the cap as much as possible , so less room for condensation to form on the sides of a tank where NO fuel level is at!

·
Super Moderator
38,324 Posts
Thanks. What would you recommend in place of stabil to remove water?
there is no replacement. your best option is to use sta-bil for fuel treatment if its gonna sit for long periods of time ?. if you keep sta-bil in the tank, keep the tank full all the time, or run it ever few days ?, you should be fine. if its gonna sit for long periods ?, top tank off, add sta-bil, turn fuel off, drain float bowl ( if it has a carb, and not throttle body ? ), then you should be fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Run Red bottle heet, isopropyl alcohol through your system now and again. Read the directions on the bottle.

·
Super Moderator
38,324 Posts
Run Red bottle heet, isopropyl alcohol through your system now and again. Read the directions on the bottle.
I am no expert by any means on fuel injection models ?..cept i'm glad I don't own one !..lol. but I wanted to ask, wont alcohol have an effect some where in the fuel system ?, like..dissolve filters ?, O-rings ?,bad on the injector ?. i'm not saying your wrong here !!, i'm only asking !! :).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not if you use the isopropyl version of Heet, the Red bottle. Don’t use the yellow bottle!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 08 Rancher has had isopropyl alcohol run through it for 10 years. This 08 Rancher is the first fuel injected Honda ATV that I have owned. We have run isopropyl alcohol in fuel injected aircraft since the early 80s, this was thoroughly tested by the manufacturers and the FAA before being approved.

·
Super Moderator
38,324 Posts
My 08 Rancher has had isopropyl alcohol run through it for 10 years. This 08 Rancher is the first fuel injected Honda ATV that I have owned. We have run isopropyl alcohol in fuel injected aircraft since the early 80s, this was thoroughly tested by the manufacturers and the FAA before being approved.
well then..great info..ty ! :).

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Stabil Marine Formula , would be the better one of there line to add for water(rest of there line up doesn't even claim it does so)

as there main claim to fame is, stabilizing fuel that sits,

here is a video that some say is worth watching??

IMO< all water removers, don't do much unless you add a TON of it, which few folks will do, and then you might end up with diluted fuel quality and have issue's from that alone!
there is no magic in a bottle

BUT if I wanted to add something to TRY and prevent water build up, again BASIC Stabil, would NOT be what I would use at all!
there marine one , OK
this k 100, MAYBE is a tad better !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts