Honda ATV Forum banner

Trouble shifting my Foreman

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I am new here, but am having trouble shifting the gears on my 2007 Foreman 500 manual shift. Shifting from 1st to 2nd while driving, it doesn't always go in. I end up shifting straight to 2nd and riding trails in 2nd most of the time. I have noticed too trying to get it out of reverse back to neutral, I have to rock the bike to get it to shift. Any ideas what may be wrong?

#2 ·
You could just need a simple adjustment...
Welcome to the forums... on the side of the engine you will see a nut with a slotted screw in the middle and someone correct me if Im wron but loosen the nut take a screw driver and while counting turn it one full turn in, that will release tension on the springs, then start turning it out until you start to feel resistance when you do stop! now turn it back in 1/4 of a turn and hold it inplace and lock the nut down. Give it a test ride and see if that helped? but like I said wait until someone else posts up here, I know that how I do the smaller quads it may be the same for yours as well.

#3 ·
That's right Moose. The picture below shows a 300 utility, but they all adjust the same way.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I went through that and it didn't seem to change anything. Can I adjust it more than 1/4 turn? What effect will it have if I go too far? Someone told me this may just be the way Honda's are and it needs to warm up for a while first.

#5 ·
No, Hondas usually shift easy. Has anyone had the side cover, on the clutch side, off?

#7 · (Edited)
I would bet that the guy that had it before you has taken one of the side covers off and got something out of place. The shifter shaft pulls out the left side, but it has splines on the other end that engages a internal clutch lever that engages and disengages your clutches. That piece has to be in time with the shifter shaft. There is a punch mark on the piece and an index mark on the inside of the crankcase that has to be lined up. If the shifter shaft has been pulled out just a little it will come off the piece on the other end and when you push it back in it will go back on, but it won't be in time. This can come loose by pulling either side cover off. If someone pulled either side cover off and they didn't know what they were doing, then I would say that that is what's wrong with it. If the splines are not lined up correctly, then your clutches won't be completely disengaging when you shift. This would make it hard to shift. I would recommend getting a repair manual if you're going to try to fix this yourself.

Let me add that I have never been on the inside of the particular model that you have, but I have worked on most of the older Honda models with the foot shift and they might not be set up exactly the same, but they should work basically the same way. It would be best to get a repair manual before you tear into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.