Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding installing the large starter gear and clutched flywheel. I am in the process of rebuilding the engine for a 2000 Honda 400ex and am to the point where I am putting the flywheel back on. When placed on the bench with the large starter gear installed in the flywheel the gear only rotates one way as it should smoothly. When installed on the crankshaft and after I tighten the bolt down the gear will not rotate either way and is jammed up. It should rotate backwards smoothly and lock up during starting to crank the engine over. Why would the gear be jammed up once the bolt is torqued down?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Did you use a gasket or just used Honda Bond when putting it together?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I put the flywheel bolt on snug and not at all to torque spec the flywheel will turn backwards fine and operate correctly. When I tighten the bolt down to spec the flywheel is jammed up. I did install new crank bearings. Could that end of the crankshaft not be sticking out far enough due to a too think bearing. The timing gears drive gears and oil pump gear line up perfectly on the other side. It was pretty shocking as the build was going fine and then I ran into this problem. I noticed another post with this same problem, but it did not say what the fix was, if any.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it figured out. First of all, I want to say thank you for all of the replies regarding this problem. As the manual states: After placing the flywheel on the crankshaft, torque the special bolt with the washer down to 94 ft lbs or so. I, initially, was tightening the bolt down with an impact. The flywheel is not a pressed fit. What was happening was the flywheel was getting driven too far down on the crankshaft and jamming up the gear. The crankshaft and flywheel hub are tapered. When installing the flywheel only use a torque wrench to tighten down. The key obviously locates the flywheel and stops it from turning. Not a pressed fit. This is the best I can speculate, and hope this can help someone else. All you can do is give it your best shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.