Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having ES problems (imagine that!) and I'm working on going through every electrical plug on the bike, cleaning it, adding some dielectric grease, and closing it back up. My problem is, 90% of them I can't get the plug off of. I managed to do all of the plugs under the front fender, and broke 2 of them. I'm trying to get the angle sensor off now, and can't get it to budge. I definitely don't want to break it, since it's a lower point on the bike. I also have the plugs on the rear and right side of the bike to do still (except the carb heater and regulator), but have been holding off on them, since I really don't want to ruin the plugs for the shift computer. So, what's everyone's tricks for getting the plugs off? I've tried prying with multiple screw drivers, sliding picks up into them, etc. So far the most successful thing has been to wedge a pick under the locking tab, then place a flat-blade screw driver along the lip and start tapping with a hammer until it eventually pops off. There's not enough room to do that on the angle sensor though, and I'm not sure about the shift computer yet.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
i just pull or push the locking tab depending on the plug, and the usually pop apart. Some require a little coaxing with a flat blade screwdriver but not much.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Maybe some electronic contact cleaner to get the mud, dirt, debris out. I use a very small flat screwdriver to push and pull the tabs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just pull or push the locking tab depending on the plug, and the usually pop apart. Some require a little coaxing with a flat blade screwdriver but not much.
I can pop the locking tab no problem, but it's almost like there's a vacuum seal on them. I'm guessing that's a good thing, because it means they're still nice and clean on the inside. Either that or they're so full of crud that they've corroded together or something, lol. But once I push the tab up, they'll move maybe 1/8" and that's it. After that I have to start really prying on them to get them off.

Maybe some electronic contact cleaner to get the mud, dirt, debris out. I use a very small flat screwdriver to push and pull the tabs.
Yeah, I'm hitting them all with contact cleaner. So far though, they have all looked like new on the inside, so I'm thinking most of my issues are coming from plugs in the back (which may have been submerged). Regardless, contact cleaner, maybe a little scraping of any corrosion (none so far), and fill them up with grease and plug them back in.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Try using a penetrating oil like PB Blaster. When it moves that 1st eighth inch spray and push together. This pushes the oil into the spots that are dry. Then pull again. It should pull out further this time. Repeat until it's apart. I do this on rusted metal parts and it works good for me. Never done it on a connector before.

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
on plugs that are really hard to get off , I take a dental pick and stick it around the tang that locks the plug together and dig the dirt out , then spray some WD40 or such with the straw and blow out dirt and lube it up , use the dental pick to lift or push the lock tang out the way and pull with the other hand

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try using some PB Blaster on the last few plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts