Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to ATV ownership and this forum. Tried to do a search for this one didn't find it.

I have a 2001 Rancher 350 Manual shift and am wondering if the battery on these bikes recharge when the motor is running? Like a car. I am also wondering if I need to get a trickle charger for the bike while in storage. I live in Canada, well below zero these days and was hoping if I just ran the bike at least once a week I would be okay?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would not count on the bike being able to maintain a battery given low use, etc., and strongly encourage you to invest in a very good trickle/maintainer.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
That's on my list ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
the older atv;'s like this I think you will be fine if you run the atv every so often, BUT by RUN it I mean ride it a few miles, not just start it and let it idle for 10 minutes and shut it down
it takes a while to charge a battery off running the machine

I kept my atv like this, on a farm for 10 yrs, NO power, so no way to charge it vie a trickle charger
below freezing temps in winter, 100+ in summer
sat some times for 3-6 weeks not getting started or used, and then weeks it got used every day 8+ hrs a day
batterys lasted me about 5 yrs a pop, before needing replacing
I am sure with a trickle charger I might have gotten maybe 6-7 yrs, so you are giving up some life on the battery
but not too bad if you ask me?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I kept my atv like this, on a farm for 10 yrs, NO power, so no way to charge it vie a trickle charger
I am sure everyone has seen these, but wanted to mention in those no power areas, the solar trickle chargers have come a long way and may be an option.
which means, you would need to park it out in the open for sun, uncovered..hmmmmm...lol. I thought about getting one of these for my jet ski ?, but sense I park it under my carport cover in the back yard, decided, meh, no use for it..lol. I ran me a cord out there, and plug my battery jr. tender to my ski, and I can see the little green light at night when I look out my bed room window..lol.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
[/QUOTE] I am sure everyone has seen these, but wanted to mention in those no power areas, the solar trickle chargers have come a long way and may be an option.[/QUOTE] which means, you would need to park it out in the open for sun, uncovered..hmmmmm...lol. I thought about getting one of these for my jet ski ?, but sense I park it under my carport cover in the back yard, decided, meh, no use for it..lol. I ran me a cord out there, and plug my battery jr. tender to my ski, and I can see the little green light at night when I look out my bed room window..lol.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, sun is required, LOL. For my fishing boat, which is stored in a barn in full sun, the solar panel is mounted on the outside tastefully (the wife requested that addition be approved, LOL) and ran the wire/plug to the boat and works like a champ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.