Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here with a quick question.

I have an '01 Honda Rubicon. We need to get two ATVs in the back end of my enclosed trailer and about the only way to make them fit is to stand the two of them side by side on their tail end. The other ATV is my buddies Yamaha (I think).

Anybody see any issues with this? Not concerned with the ability to tie them down, more concerned about what might happen to the fluids in the machines.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Holy crap. Not only does it sound like a bad idea from the stand point of all the fluids, it just sounds like a bad idea, period, even if it wouldn't cause any problems with the engines.

Being the pragmatic chap that I am, I wouldn't do it if it were me in your shoes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I have seen them piggy backed at about 45 degree angles on trailers before but I wouldn't stand them up more than the recommended climb angle. Straight up on end? I don't think so.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
I have seen a trailer loaded with a bunch of ATVs standing and strapped to the walls and lined down the center just shut off the fuel and when you tip it up on the back rack the fuel in the bowl will drain out, when you put it back down let it sit for a few min and turn on the fuel, you should be ok I haven't heard of them having any issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.
My trailer is 97" wide in the interior. I've got five feet between the back door and the bumper of my Jeep, this is where we want to stand the ATVs.

Sounds like I should turn off the fuel, run the motor 'til it quits and load up.

My concern with the Rubicon is the amount of oil used in this machine. Between the motor and trans it uses over five quarts. Just want to make sure that when we get out to KOH that I don't have an oily mess that won't run.:icon_cussing:

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
What kind of bracing do you have in the front wall? Could you hoist the front up and piggy back the other . That away they wont be straight up and down.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just want to make sure that when we get out to KOH that I don't have an oily mess that won't run.:icon_cussing:
If you're going to go through with it, run a test. Stand your bike up, leave it over night, and see what kind of mess you have in the morning. If it runs, or doesn't run, at least you'll know before you get where you're going and find out too late.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish I had room up front. This is a gooseneck with the front third built out with living quarters. The Jeep sits directly over the axles which gives me good pin weight at the hitch. The Jeep is only about three feet back from the forward garage wall.
The only space open for the 2 ATVs is behind my Jeep. Normally, I just turn my Rubicon sideways behind the Jeep. But we want to take two for this trip. Want our cake and eat it too.:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would not only worrie about the gas but the oil from the crankcase leaking out into your air box from the vent. it will soak your air filter and may fill your air box with the used oil. I would not leave them standing more then 30_40degres for the trip. may not like the clean up and refill you willl have to do when you get there. also if its liquid cooled. plug the overflow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts