Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, names Alex. I'm new to the forum. Got a question to start off. I have a 2017 Honda Rubicon 500 DCT with power steering. I had a little 250 Recon when i was kid so i have always been a Honda guy. I have only had my Rubicon for about 2 months, but have done a good amount of riding within that time. I just did my first oil change last week. I am still getting used to the new DCT transmission. When i put it in Auto it sometimes has trouble shifting. I will have to let off the gas or give it more for it to shift down or up. So far I've just assumed its because its a new bike, the trans will have to be broken in. When i have it in thumb shift, it shifts great. just looking for some thoughts/answers. Also how often do i need to have the trans serviced?

Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Someone will be along soon to answer this question for you bud, there was a thread not long ago about the new type transmission. I beleive Mac was quite knowledgeable on this subject.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What I have found with mine ('16 Rubicon DCT) is that there are 2 driving modes eco/normal and sport mode. When in eco/normal mode mine will tend to want to hold a gear and lug and not shift more than in sport mode. Things I've found that works is if you want it to downshift, clamp the throttle quick. Kinda of like in an auto vehicle and stomping the gas. And to get it to upshift let off the throttle a little more than you would think. Also with mine I drove it like I would if it was broke-in and had miles on it. The best thing you can do is allow it to learn exactly how you plan to ride it. I think most people baby it for a while until it gets the first scratch. Then it's hammer time lol. I'm not talking about beating it into submission, more just riding like you would if it was a little older. The trans will need to learn your "new" riding style now that it's not new and that's where it is getting "confused." Or it could be you need to be trained the way IT shifts lol. Also throttle position is the main input for when it shifts. Which is why letting off and getting back on it causes it to shift.

I don't believe there is any added maintenance to the transmission other than regular oil changes using wet clutch compatible oil ONLY! Nothing with toast the clutches faster than using the wrong oil. This goes for any utility Honda as well. The Rubicon, as with most Honda's, transmission get their lubrication from the engine oil hence why wet clutch compatible fluid is required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate it. that does make sense about letting the trans learn how I ride. I rode this past weekend and it seemed to have done a lot better shifting in AUTO mode. Less lag in shifting.

Thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts