Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, has anyone one here had any tranny problems with the hondamatic? -- 09 Polaris Sportsman XP 550 -- previous atv -- 06 honda 400 fourtrax Canadian Trail edition with GPS

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Tons of reported problems with it Whats the issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry!

Sorry! I have been gone a while! We had our honda, and started to hear a funny noise, so took it in to get checked out. so.... they had it for a week and said the couldnt see anything. but we said that somthing had to be wrong for the noise just didnt sound good. We thought maybe the tranny. so the took it all apart and kept im for 2 more weeks, and then said that the couldnt look at the tramny cuz it was a sealed unit. and charged us like $3000 for labor and said other than that it might be the tranny nothing was wrong. only other option was to buy a new tranny for $3200. and we said forget it. and we didnt want to pay all that $ for labor since they found zip. so they were gonna take us to court. so needless to say, we dont have a honda anymore! And all the people we dealt with all left about 1 month later... what does that tell ya?! Ok sorry had to get it Off my chest! it had i weird grinding noise. i talked to a service man at the suzuki place and he said his buddy's honda had a bad tramny too.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Did you have the corect type and amount of oil in the tranny? The tranny going out is not common. The sensors going out are commen. HUGE difference!

Welcome to the site. It is unfortunate that you had to deal with a dealer like that. My local dealer bends over backwards to help people out. Possibly the best dealership I have ever been to.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sorry! I have been gone a while! We had our honda, and started to hear a funny noise, so took it in to get checked out. so.... they had it for a week and said the couldnt see anything. but we said that somthing had to be wrong for the noise just didnt sound good. We thought maybe the tranny. so the took it all apart and kept im for 2 more weeks, and then said that the couldnt look at the tramny cuz it was a sealed unit. and charged us like $3000 for labor and said other than that it might be the tranny nothing was wrong. only other option was to buy a new tranny for $3200. and we said forget it. and we didnt want to pay all that $ for labor since they found zip. so they were gonna take us to court. so needless to say, we dont have a honda anymore! And all the people we dealt with all left about 1 month later... what does that tell ya?! Ok sorry had to get it Off my chest! it had i weird grinding noise. i talked to a service man at the suzuki place and he said his buddy's honda had a bad tramny too.
A grinding or ratcheting noise is a sign of low oil pressure and can be caused by a stuck pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i remember now!

Ok yes now i remember what happend after that! We took it to a local in home mecanic, and we were going to drain the rear diff and change the oil. (he was going to show me how, as i was not as mecanicaly incliend, at the time.) so we put a pan under the rear diff, and went and did the front one. came back and there was nothing but a little water in the pan! So he checked everything and said no damage was done. I wonder if the tech at honda saw that or not!? but thank you guys for the sympathy! We have heard of other problems now with that dealer. too bad... honda has a good reputation.... or "had" with us. I know of many people who love there little hondas. i did to at first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey,iam new to the form.well here is the deal.ive read many post about hondamatic trans. and have found nothing but problems.i have a 02 rubicon500.the bike has 1300 easy miles on it.ive had so many problems with it i want to give up.as of right now i installed 4 angle sensors,1 ecm,1 wiring harness,2 t.p.s,and1 speed sensor.installed all by me.those problems happend around miles 800.i put 500 more easy miles on the bike and have arrrived at this problem.problem code 6 angle sensor system.i have a service mamual with the flow chart but i canot get the ecm to reset.i installed a new angle sensor switched back to my old ecm unplugged the battery for 24 hrs,but still no reset.when i turn the key on i get nothing but --on the screen in .05 sec blink duration.when i do the inital setting procedure i get nothing. has anybody ever seen this problem or do you want to buy this thing for cheep so i can get a reliable quad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts