Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Well it looks like I am going to be getting another ATV to add to the 03' foreman I recently bought. The wife is wanting one of her own now. Often when we camp or hunt, I am pulling a 28ft 5th wheel so I'm going to need a trailer for these toys to join the party.

I've been scouring craigs list and there are many option from homebuilt flatbed;s to big tex landscape trailers to an echo trailer that would allow rear and side loading which is what I'm leaning towards.

I think my specs need to be at least-

Interior 6ftw by 8'L to support 2 utility ATV's side by side. I don't want something super heavy since I will be pulling alot of weight anyway and I want something solid enough that it will track true behind the 5th wheel.

What have you learned from your trailer purchases and what should I look out for and be aware of? I'm looking for reasonable priced, not top of the line but decent quality.

Thanks for your guidance
Brett

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Triton sells good aluminum trailers...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 6' x 9'. I would suggest a little wider unless you get the side load if you have larger machines. I have to pick up one end of the machines over the side rails and then drop it back in so that it sits perpendicular to the trailer. But I can load the 250EX and the Recon on it side ways and still have plenty of room for a couple of coolers and tool boxes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I wish I could get my lazy ass wife off the couch and interested in riding.:mad: All she wants to do is lay around and watch TV. When we go camping, all she wants to do is lay around. Won't fish, won't ride, won't swim, won't hike, won't even go out to my hunting ground to check cam's.:mad:

:end rant:

·
Registered
781 Posts
hey Green could be worse, she could want to do all those things with you and talk about your relationship and feelings and such... LOL

·
Registered
118 Posts
Find yourself a nice used car trailer. That way you can have more options other than just quads...

I paid $1500 for this used solid deck 1992 Featherlite aluminum car trailer 6 years ago.

·
Registered
535 Posts
hey Green could be worse, she could want to do all those things with you and talk about your relationship and feelings and such... LOL
:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Excellent point.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Speaking of trailering...

History: I've been hauling sport bikes to the track for a long time. Most of us are extremely picky about how we trailer them because we don't want to cause damage. By picky I mean we don't tighten the straps down too far because we don't want the suspension over compressed. We shift the bike into neutral because if there is even a miniscule amount of forward/backward shifting, that will be compounded in the tranny and potentially cause damage too the tranny. I know...maybe a little over the top...but it can't hurt to take precautions, right?

When I haul my Rancher, I make sure the tranny is in neutral and the park brake is released. I don't want the bounce of the trailer being transferred through the wheels and driveline of my atv and possibly stressing the brakes/tranny. Any of you guys do the same? Rely on the tiedown straps?

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Speaking of trailering...

History: I've been hauling sport bikes to the track for a long time. Most of us are extremely picky about how we trailer them because we don't want to cause damage. By picky I mean we don't tighten the straps down too far because we don't want the suspension over compressed. We shift the bike into neutral because if there is even a miniscule amount of forward/backward shifting, that will be compounded in the tranny and potentially cause damage too the tranny. I know...maybe a little over the top...but it can't hurt to take precautions, right?

When I haul my Rancher, I make sure the tranny is in neutral and the park brake is released. I don't want the bounce of the trailer being transferred through the wheels and driveline of my atv and possibly stressing the brakes/tranny. Any of you guys do the same? Rely on the tiedown straps?
i use my parking brake...put it in gear..then use my tie downs.i use the rachet type..i know for a fact..if the tie downs don't hold..it doesn't matter what you do with being in gear..or parking brake..if it's not tight..your begging for a bounce off !..lol..i've had a honda 300 roll all the way out of my truck..land right side up in the middle of the road when i took off..sooo..from that point on..i make sure that thing ain't budging !!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
1500lb car hauler is what I use. 6x16 I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts