Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 12 ft trailer , I can haul two ATVs but have the spin the first one on the trailer sideways , so we have an over night trip to the water park coming up soon, so yesterday I got on it , cut the side rail , moved the spare tire carrier , adding a tool box for straps , jack , straps , bunge cords , tools and what nots --------- the jack handle hits the box top by just a bit ----

I am looking for some suggestions on the placement and type of jack ----------------------

I could cut a spacer and put it under the triangle mounting plate of the jack , would loose a couple of inches of jack length but I use a block any ways , there are holes for the jack farther up the tongue that are already there , but then the tail gate isn't going to be able to go down , I have another jack with the weld-ment to the trailer and a pin to rotate it horizontal when not in use but there isn't room for it stow unless I get a second weld-ment and mount it on top the tongue instead of the side

Attachments

· Registered
1,759 Posts
I have the same type of jack as yours however mine doesn't look as long. I mounted mine on the side of the tongue but it seems there may not be the room for your set up no matter how you do it. Looks to me like if you mounted you on the side of the tongue it would work as long as you don't try to pivot it out out of the way.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
ok a few idea's
one what about a side crank jack over the TOP screw one's you have>
then you will have more room for the tailgate to come down
a, if that doesn;t work, why not weld on a plate to mount jack more off the side??

and if that doesn't work, HOW about two jacks, one on each corner of the front trailer??
and if that doesn;'t float your boat LOL
what about an electric jack?? NO handle then to be in the way, powers off the plug in too(or some do)

· Registered
340 Posts
I got a 12 ft trailer , I can haul two ATVs but have the spin the first one on the trailer sideways , so we have an over night trip to the water park coming up soon, so yesterday I got on it , cut the side rail , moved the spare tire carrier , adding a tool box for straps , jack , straps , bunge cords , tools and what nots --------- the jack handle hits the box top by just a bit ----

I am looking for some suggestions on the placement and type of jack ----------------------

I could cut a spacer and put it under the triangle mounting plate of the jack , would loose a couple of inches of jack length but I use a block any ways , there are holes for the jack farther up the tongue that are already there , but then the tail gate isn't going to be able to go down , I have another jack with the weld-ment to the trailer and a pin to rotate it horizontal when not in use but there isn't room for it stow unless I get a second weld-ment and mount it on top the tongue instead of the side
don,t mount the jack permanent. have it slide on some pins, bolts with holes so the jack slides on the pins and drop some clip pins in the holes. when done , put the jack in the box.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I saw a trailer a few months back at the off-road park and the guy had taken the handle off the top and welded a 1/2" socket to the top (1/2" drive facing up) he then pulled out a Makita battery powered impact gun, click clack click..... up goes the trailer!!

I thought it was a good idea.

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats all some good ideas you'll came up with , there was a electric jack at the flea market a while back , it looked like it was never used , the Ryobi electric impact I have would probably work if I remembered to charge it , I got a jack that pins off and never thought about taking it off and putting in the box , which is good as I was going to make another mount and pin it off on top the tongue , but it would be easy picking's for a thief

So what I done was make a couple of brackets and bolted them to the trailer to support the bottom of the box and going to drill and bolt the box to the top rail of the trailer

Attachments

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the jack isn't going to be a problem with the box mounted on the rail , got about $40 invested in it so far , for the box and stainless steel bolts and nuts , the ramps I have are a little too heavy duty , they are the ones that fold and have a receiver hitch on it where you can stick it into the hitch of the truck and put a gear on it to travel , which I never use , I may cut them up into a smaller two piece version , I think a cheap set of ramps would be easier to stow away after loading

Here is a good source for jacks , they are pretty cheap compared to the local marine supply

Attachments

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I Just replaced mine on my one snowmobile trailer, I got a 2k side crank, duel wheel one, at TSC for 49 bucks, that also spins to mount side ways, they were the best price I could find in local stores, and not bad even after looking wold wide web like too.
My old one stopped working, was a single wheel, 1200 lb one, I just mounted it yesterday to a wooden fence, gate I made,
found it funny you were working on a jack the same day !
as for removing the jack's handle and using a socket, they do sell 12 volt impact guns, and you can run them off your ATV with a Cig lighter plug and play deal?? so, NOT a bad idea there if you wanted!
a lot of the older trailers I don't think they planned ahead on being attached to a truck and then these jacks used, as I seen SO many that once installed on trailer, the tailgates on pick up truck would HIT them if you opened them, and seen many find out the hard way LOL

· Registered
39 Posts
The tool box mounting looks great. The side mounted jack with wheel is the ticket. Once it is on the hitch, just pull the spring loaded pin and swivel the jack 90 degrees and it pops in place. This also works great for rolling the trailer around by hand on a smooth surface. Much less cranking involved. I have put this type on a couple of my trailers and cut the stationary ones off. Those things can wreck your tailgate.

· Registered
39 Posts
Also if you pull your trailer with your wheeler, that center mounted stationary jack will tend to get into your rear rack. The side mount swivel jack does away with that problem. You will need to experiment a little before mounting to get just the right location.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
your tool box is set up right. but if your tired of cranking ?, get a electric jack !. only problem I see is it hitting your tail gate ?. I just ordered me a new electric 3500lb jack for my travel trailer, $ 95.00 bucks shipped !. waiting on it now. as for what tinker was saying about hooking to your atv ?, yeah, had this problem with a swing away crank jack, not much room to hook, unhook, and then either the wheel or the handle would hit either rear tire when turning sharp ?, I solved this by extending the tow ball out further, and up a tad, problem solved !. I've got a pic of it somewhere that I did this with my '89 trx350D foreman, i'll post it, if I can find it ?..lol.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
here ya go fish, this is what I did to solve the pulling issues I had with my trailers :). ( also, no more hitting my bald head on the rear rack ! ), for those that have rear drop down racks ?, this is a super great idea !.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
here ya go fish, this is what I did to solve the pulling issues I had with my trailers :). ( also, no more hitting my bald head on the rear rack ! ), for those that have rear drop down racks ?, this is a super great idea !.
That's an 'old guy' mod, I have no issue bending under there just yet :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

· Premium Member
749 Posts
One day son, one day.

While you're here.
has reg brought the rr up yet?

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got some progress today , finished the piece of railing , made a stake out of angle and welded it to the angle iron down brace welded some long clevis pins and have clip pins but don't think I will need them , welded my spindle on the other side the trailer and mounted the spare hub with bearings and seal ready to got -------the ramps I have work perfect but are heavy , thinking of cutting them in two and take a section out

Attachments

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got an long hitch on my truck , without it I could jack knife the bow into the side the truck------the jack that is on the trailer now had been relocated when I bought it new so that you could open the tail gate , glad I didn't have to move it , with the box on top the rails I gave myself just enough of room

another mod I would like to do is either get a set of gate assist or cut the tail ramp in half of the length and half wide so you could lift one section at a time , that ramp is heavy , it is great for the zero swing lawn mower or moving something with a dolly but other than that it doesn't need to be so long

Hey Shade , I done a few receiver hitches

You'll talking about using an impact for the trailer jack , I never did that but I use to use one for setting up our travel trailer's 4 leveling jacks and it made it easy , I used my a 5/8 (drive ) {not 1/2 , not 3/4 } Sioux electric impact that is pretty old and 5/8 drive sockets are pretty rare

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.