Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
OK no offence here meant, but HOW Much talking do you need to have while riding?
I been riding a LONG time, atv's MX bikes, street bikes, snowmobiles, jet ski's boats, off road trucks and jeeps and so on,
almost any time, we DID use radio's
it was never a issue for the guy talking to be STOPPED< the other could still HEAR thru radio';s while driving, NO need to remove hands from things, as all you have to do is STOP< to talk and be safe?
Most all directions and meeting points have always been talked about BEFORE heading out and started driving?
and then again, IF a guy got stuck(and no one was behind or in front to see them), they WERE stopped and would radio, or at next crossing or??
then , we would wait and if NO one showed up, as expected, we went back to find them, or again used radio's
again being STOPPED no worries about hands off bars or??
I some times think folks way over think things getting caught up in making something really NOT needed!
almost NO one today again doesn't have a darn cell phone, Kids included it seems! or not anyone that are old enough to be riding alone/solo on trails (legal age on most trails is 16+)
by this time they should know to follow directions pretty well, know how and when its safe to use a mic, radio.

so again, I think, this topic is being over thought, but still cool to talk about tech, of new systems.
but honestly, HOW much talking is going to happen while riding, I know I wouldn;t even want folks listening to me ride 24/7 like, as I am sure I say some things that are not kid friendly, like when , you get caught by a thorn bush, hit a hard rock and get a painful jolt, or??
having a LIVE mic, might be NOT the best idea for me anyhow LOL

again, food for thought, not a bash
but do we really need a live mic while trail riding?

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
you've got me curious Mac with the Frecomms... I know they've been good on road bikes..clean line of sight stuff...

but I'd love to hear your first hand experience when trail riding, hills, thick woods, etc..things that can really mess with Blutooth

If you get too far apart they will disconnect but we haven’t had too much trouble, they are better than line of sight but don’t expect to be a mile apart and still chatting lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK no offence here meant, but HOW Much talking do you need to have while riding?
I go out with my sons so will take all the talk time I can get. We have been riding everyday, some time for hours. I guess I am looking for more than being able to communicate simple directions. We have endless county roads and forestry roads we can legal go on. My kids have trails carved out my land, We can drive to the store, friends and Grandma and Papas house.

In my state if you are under 16 you can ride but you have to accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or somebody the parents have approved of. If you are under 18 you have wear a helmet.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
VOX would be ideal. I just didn't know if there would be too much ambient noise from the four wheelers running around and all the noise they're generating for VOX to work effectively
Your correct! Basically trile and error on vox settings... The throat mic is not as effected by ambient noise ... As the lapel mic .... The lapal mic can be clipped right up close to your mouth (shirt collar etc) what mic system did your baofeng come with ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
U

VOX would be ideal. I just didn't know if there would be too much ambient noise from the four wheelers running around and all the noise they're generating for VOX to work effectively
Your correct! Basically trile and error on vox settings... The throat mic is not as effected by ambient noise ... As the lapel mic .... The lapal mic can be clipped right up close to your mouth (shirt collar etc) what mic system did your baofeng come with ?
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking for the Mic that came with baofeng. I bought it a while back and didn't think I would ever need it and I am not sure where I put it. Right now the baofeng sits in my Jeep. I use a hand Mic there and an external antenna. I am going to look into things a little more today.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Glad to help! If ya need help programing I'll walk ya thru it. I'll send ya my email vira PM (soon)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Glad to help! If ya need help programing I'll walk ya thru it. I'll send ya my email vira PM (soon)
Lord yes.. the Baofengs are different mindset for programming..and yet I found it to be pretty easy and it seemed to make more sense to me first try than did the more beloved Yaesu...the Yaesu lives in my truck's 'get home bag'...the cheap Baofeng gets the dirty work, and yet that thing has held up well...

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I been riding a LONG time, atv's MX bikes, street bikes, snowmobiles, jet ski's boats, off road trucks and jeeps and so on,
almost any time, we DID use radio's
it was never a issue for the guy talking to be STOPPED< the other could still HEAR thru radio';s while driving, NO need to remove hands from things, as all you have to do is STOP< to talk and be safe?
Most all directions and meeting points have always been talked about BEFORE heading out and started driving?
and then again, IF a guy got stuck(and no one was behind or in front to see them), they WERE stopped and would radio, or at next crossing or??
then , we would wait and if NO one showed up, as expected, we went back to find them, or again used radio's
again being STOPPED no worries about hands off bars or??
I some times think folks way over think things getting caught up in making something really NOT needed!
almost NO one today again doesn't have a darn cell phone, Kids included it seems! or not anyone that are old enough to be riding alone/solo on trails (legal age on most trails is 16+)
by this time they should know to follow directions pretty well, know how and when its safe to use a mic, radio.

so again, I think, this topic is being over thought, but still cool to talk about tech, of new systems.
but honestly, HOW much talking is going to happen while riding, I know I wouldn;t even want folks listening to me ride 24/7 like, as I am sure I say some things that are not kid friendly, like when , you get caught by a thorn bush, hit a hard rock and get a painful jolt, or??
having a LIVE mic, might be NOT the best idea for me anyhow LOL

again, food for thought, not a bash
but do we really need a live mic while trail riding?
good points all around..don't see it as bashing at all.
many years ago, i started keeping a 4 pack of FRs in the camper cause it seemed like most places we went, the cell phone signal was crud..and it was good to hand a radio to the kids if they were going to be out roaming the campground, or over that the playground etc..just so they could call if there was a problem or we could reach them to tell them dinner was on.
I then started carrying one when it was just the wife and I...we'd go camping and I like to take my lil 1979 Honda Trail 90 with me...just go for a light cruise in the state/national park roads..never many miles away, but often no cell signal...we quickly learned that running the higher power 5 watt GRs was needed..and honestly, unless there's a ham repeater that you know about in the area, the GRs do just as well as the hand hams..maybe better.
I certainly can't knock guys who having riding buddies/kids to talk to...it's gotta be a lot of fun...most of my ride time is solo..and when I do go with guys to an actual destinate..ie Adventure World...it's all single file trail stuff..and the most talking we do is stopping at a crossroads to try and figure out where the heck we are, talk about whether we're up for a harder trail, need to take a breaketc...but just like playing video games. I can see where hot mics could be a lot of fun while riding.

when I'm on my own property, again solo.. we have decent cell service now, so whether riding or mowing I wear bluetooth ear buds to keep the sound levels down and be able to hear a text msg or call coming in...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I can't help ya on the chirp .... I manually programed each one of mine (no computer help except information online) and the owners manuals doesn't do those radios justice.

How ever ..... This will!

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/pdf/uv-5r_v1.0.pdf

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I can't help ya on the chirp .... I manually programed each one of mine (no computer help except information online) and the owners manuals doesn't do those radios justice.

How ever ..... This will!

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/pdf/uv-5r_v1.0.pdf
yep...in fact last year when I was spending time on the ham forums...and guys were reporting the chirps software was mucking up the radio..so best to just program manually.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Exactly correct^^^ i take it you know about RadioReference forums ? Great site!!

Edit: i always went and swept all the originally programing (much as i could) out, and built (programed ) it for my needs! But ..... Don't tangle with that language option haha!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Exactly correct^^^ i take it you know about RadioReference forums ? Great site!!

Edit: i always went and swept all the originally programing (much as i could) out, and built (programed ) it for my needs! But ..... Don't tangle with that language option haha!
funny....yep...those radios will be happy to speak to you in "some" form of Asian language...and yes...it's a great forum with guys that are really into the hobby.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
ny Baofeng F8HP (3rd gen UV5R) works just fine.. I know the chinese radios take a lot of grief..and are inconsistent in quality..guess I got lucky..I'm sure if you put it on a meter it might show more drift than the spec it was to have been built for..but it has held up well.

my Yaesu is old school FT60r (with the Mars caps mod)..solid radio
I"m fortunate to live less than 6 miles from the TwoWayRadio.com guys..their office/warehouse is right in town..they've been a tremendous help as they like having a customer actually drop into their building..they are 99.9% online.

hardly anyone out there these days...local repeater group is basically like going to the Hardees on saturday morning and having coffee chat time..nice guys..just not really something I've gotten in to.
anyway..other than longer whips and some vehical mag mount, along with mics/earsets and spare batteries..that's been all I've committed to them..not sure they'll be much help for zombie prepping...but..had to do it , right? (Grin)

I still think for trail riding...5watt GRMS with a headset would be my first choice on a budget..but there's sure some cool stuff out there...good to hear that the blutooth stuff is working on the trails.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
not sure they'll be much help for zombie prepping...but..had to do it , right? (Grin)
That's a comment i figure fits fishes way of thinking haha! Good one! (Smiles)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
7 Participants
_Wilson_
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing