Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Honda or someone else (Dupli-Color, etc.) offer touch-up paint for the metal painted parts, specifically gas tank? I have a '98 TRX300FW that is Adventure Green (G-152) and I need to touch up some areas. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Take the tank to any automotive paint store and they can match it. You should be able to get it in rattle can or paint gun style with reducer.

Just don't think you can use regular clear coat on a fuel tank. That clear is not resistant to spilled fuel enough. If rattle can is your method, you need to buy a can of the special 2k catalyzed clear coat that has the activator/hardener inside a small canister that is inside the larger rattle can. A special red cap is used to break the activator inside and then shake vigorously to mix the two. But have all of your de-rust, cleaning, primer and paint work done before activating the can because your pot time working life is only about 48 hours here. After that, it's too stiff inside the can to spray. Expect to pay about $28 USD per rattle can.

And hey - do this outside or use a respirator. It contains a form of cyanide - very nasty stuff if inhaled.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Most 'made to order' rattle cans here are petrol proof, there cellulose (single pack) paint rather than two pac. You could opt for base coat and clear but I think that would be a waste of cash, unless you after a mint finish that is.

As B52 has already said, colour matched cans can be quite pricey, shop around if you have a few stores near you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may just go to my local home improvement store and get an oil-based sample-size can made up. The areas I need to touch up shouldn't be exposed to fuel on a regular occurrence. I just thought the dealer might have ready-made touch-up paint already available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts