Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum and I am looking for some information. I recently purchased a Honda Rancher 420 (2009) and my first oil change is coming up. The manual states that the bolts to the oil filter require a torque wrench (7lbs) and the Oil drain plug requires torque of 18 lbs. I have been to Sears, Home Depot, and a few other places looking for a torque wrench suitable for this job. All I can find are large torque wrenches starting at 20 lbs. I did find one starting at 10 lbs. Any suggestions as to where I can purchase a suitable torque wrench? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I bought mine from the Snap On man. $$$$$!!!!!
I am pretty sure it is inch pounds to. I have an old craftsman bendy style that goes down to 5 pounds as well. Sears had them at one time.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sears...find a 3/8" drive. They will be in lb/in...you'll need to convert though. lb/ft x 12 will give you lb/in...for example 1 lb/ft = 12 lb/in. Also...make sure you have the correct filter before you start...there are two different filters for the 2009 Rancher 420's...which one will depend on the model number. You'll need to provide the whole model number in order to get the correct filter...my dealership did not know this (nor did they know how much oil it would take).

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I just joined this forum and I am looking for some information. I recently purchased a Honda Rancher 420 (2009) and my first oil change is coming up. The manual states that the bolts to the oil filter require a torque wrench (7lbs) and the Oil drain plug requires torque of 18 lbs. I have been to Sears, Home Depot, and a few other places looking for a torque wrench suitable for this job. All I can find are large torque wrenches starting at 20 lbs. I did find one starting at 10 lbs. Any suggestions as to where I can purchase a suitable torque wrench? Thanks.
You need a 3/8 drive torque wrench they start at 5 lb. Welcome to forums.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I have never used a torque wrench when tightening those. I just snug them up. If I had a Torque Wrench I would probably use it, but it is not required. Just don't go crazy on the bolts.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Oh yeah... welcome to the site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all! I was at Sears earlier today and the clerk asked me if I wanted Pounds or inches for the torque wrench. I said pounds. I should have said inches, I guess. The manual states that the bolts to the oil filter covers should be torqued at 7 lbf-ft. Converted, would that be 84 lb/in?
I thought about not using a torque wrench, however I read a blog on this forum somewhere where they stripped the drain plug and caused all kinds of problems.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
That is a definite possibility, I guess just after years of doing them you get the feel. I have stripped bolts before. I have even broke a few in the middle of the Mexico desert.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is correct.
Think of a cheater pipe on a wrench, the longer it is the less force needed on the end to produce the same amount of torque at the head. Without the extension you will have to apply more force to equal same torque at head or bolt

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks to all! I was at Sears earlier today and the clerk asked me if I wanted Pounds or inches for the torque wrench. I said pounds. I should have said inches, I guess. The manual states that the bolts to the oil filter covers should be torqued at 7 lbf-ft. Converted, would that be 84 lb/in?
I thought about not using a torque wrench, however I read a blog on this forum somewhere where they stripped the drain plug and caused all kinds of problems.
You are correct...and I always use a torque wrench on everything except fairing/body screws when the factory spec's are available.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wheel torque

Not trying to derail the thread, but since we are talking about torque wrenches, does anyone know the torque specs for wheels on a 08 Rancher and 07 Recon. I looked in my owners manual but didn't see them. I may have missed it.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
What I like to do is tighten them and then mark the threads and the bolt with a paint marker. You will instantly know if they have moved

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Tight!!! lol

Not trying to derail the thread, but since we are talking about torque wrenches, does anyone know the torque specs for wheels on a 08 Rancher and 07 Recon. I looked in my owners manual but didn't see them. I may have missed it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is what I am afraid of, over torque. Fear of the tire coming off in mid air makes me tighten the hell out of it. (Bad experience as a kid.) Of course now I am concerned about stretching the bolts and causing them to weaken. Just would like to know if I am in the ball park.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts