Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Is the Harbor Freight Mini tire changer any good? With my 20% coupon its around $38 ? If I can’t find someone to do it in town?
I don't know about the mini version ?, but I know one of their models does pretty good for dismounting and mounting atv tires. the down fall of any of them is the base !. its not big enough, or heavy enough to keep up right when working with any tires. you will need to mount the machine to a large heavy wide foot base to make it easier to use.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Once you break the beads down you don't need any fancy tools to change ATV tires. Just lube the beads and rims up with soap and they come right off real easy with a light pry to get the bead started. Same game going back on except... I never use tools to put ATV tires on because they scar up the finish on the rims. Just coat the beads and rims with soap and push them on by hand with my knee shoved into the bead. Then use a damp rag to clean up the soap and dry out the interiors good with a hot hair dryer before inflating them.

But... some of them (or most!) break down like they was glued on permanently! So there is usually a struggle between you and the tire and the machine goin' on... the bead breaker shoe does not penetrate the bead area and push the beads down... it keeps slipping off. The trick for solving that problem is to leave the tire partially inflated, between 1-2 PSI. Then the bead breaker hugs the rim and pushes the beads down. I don't like struggles, so I always take them to my local tire shop and tip one of those guys for 3 minutes of his time.

Remember the good 'ole days, when we all knew to grab the bumper jack outta the trunk of the car, to break down our flats? :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Well I will be 76 in July and have owned Scooters, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, and Side by Sides but never a quad before. My kids think I am nuts and I will kill myself, better than sitting in the retirement home waiting for lunch!!
"I was in Baghdad when you were in Dad's bag" . . . egg salad sandwiches for lunch.
Enjoy your Bear Claws . . . mine are Bear Claw EVO's. A little lighter weight (different rubber compound?) :happy:

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Once you break the beads down you don't need any fancy tools to change ATV tires. Just lube the beads and rims up with soap and they come right off real easy with a light pry to get the bead started. Same game going back on except... I never use tools to put ATV tires on because they scar up the finish on the rims. Just coat the beads and rims with soap and push them on by hand with my knee shoved into the bead. Then use a damp rag to clean up the soap and dry out the interiors good with a hot hair dryer before inflating them.

But... some of them (or most!) break down like they was glued on permanently! So there is usually a struggle between you and the tire and the machine goin' on... the bead breaker shoe does not penetrate the bead area and push the beads down... it keeps slipping off. The trick for solving that problem is to leave the tire partially inflated, between 1-2 PSI. Then the bead breaker hugs the rim and pushes the beads down. I don't like struggles, so I always take them to my local tire shop and tip one of those guys for 3 minutes of his time.

Remember the good 'ole days, when we all knew to grab the bumper jack outta the trunk of the car, to break down our flats? :)
I am checking with Wally World this morning but I found a guy on Craigslist selling a new, unused HF tire changer for $25, the larger one for car tires but the manual says it will work for smaller tires. If I purchase I will mount on the bed of my trailer with bolts and nuts, remove when done.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So our Wally World does not mount ATV tires and I am buying the HF one from the guy on CL. I have some 2" heavy square tubing and I I going to weld up a hitch mounted holder for the tire changer base. Yes I will need to extend out from my truck a ways and use a support under the far end.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Is the Harbor Freight Mini tire changer any good? With my 20% coupon its around $38 ? If I can’t find someone to do it in town?
I've changed dozens of ATV tires with mine. And have never bothered to mount it on anything. It would make it easier, but not that big of a deal, atleast for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
9 Participants
M_Quick
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing