Honda ATV Forum banner

Top end rebuild

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
I'm going to rebuild the top end of my foreman trx 450 es, I have the manual for it step by step but need to know what parts I need to buy aswell as the tools and maybe a price of everything, is there some kind of kit I can buy that has everything included? I have experiamce on rebuilding small engines just not this so all help is apreciated

#3 ·
You shouldn't need any special tools. Just common hand tools like a ratchet and socket set, wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers.

You'll need piston, piston rings, gaskets, wrist pin, and circlips. You'll want to get the cylinder bored in case it's out of round or tapered. You'll have to get over sized piston and rings to match the size of your overbore, but you can get the kits like Red posted above, but make sure they match the size of your overbore.

#4 ·
Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the timing chain and tensioners while your there.

#7 ·
Not sure what you mean by "piston bolt", as the piston attaches to the connecting rod with a pin. The pin is held in the piston by a ring clip on each end of the pin. The bolts that bolt the head to the cylinder need to be torqued and it's a good idea to torque the rocker cover bolts, too, to keep from over tightening them and stripping them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.